Jo2theD is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Using Rich Text creating Write Conflict errors?

I recently converted the Text Format of 1100 Memo fields (spread across 8 tables) from Plain Text to Rich Text in each field's table, form, subform and report. Once this was complete, users started getting the Write Conflict error that used to only appear if a user tried updating two fields from the same record simultaneously. The Write Conflict now pops up seemingly inconsistently (as in sometimes but not always and I have not found a pattern) when a user tries to close the form in which the field within a subform was just updated. I thought that converting the table property itself back to Plain Text while keeping the form, subforam and report set to Rich Text would help fix it. Although the error seems to appear less, it still appears. Ideas?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    So the subform is not linked to the main form via the Link Master and Link Child Fields?

Jo2theD is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Well, it's not a true subform. It's really a separate form with a macro set to open it when the text box field is clicked in the main form.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I am not real good with macros. If I was dealing with the issue, I would use VBA to open the form. Before the VBA executed to open the second form, I would save the current record within the first form.
    Code:
    If Me.Dirty = True Then
    Me.Dirty = False
    End If
    This may be enough. However, I typically add additional saves from the second form.
    Code:
    If Me.Dirty = True Then
    Me.Dirty = False
    End If

'Save the first form, too
    If Forms!FirstFormName.Dirty = True Then
    Forms!FirstFormName.Dirty = False
    End If

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    well I've never seen or heard this one. definitely one must be sure the version of Office is fully up on any/all Microsoft upgrades. I would also do a compact/repair. In the end one would really need to isolate and replicate the error. If you can make a single user scenario that always will fire this error - that would be key. One can have a write conflict in a single user design - having nothing to do with rich text - where the design has the same record open in multiple forms. And I have seen where this error suddenly appears when one changes version i.e. from 2003 to 2007. Why? all I have concluded is that the more recent versions are a bit stricter on things.... but I've never seen it suddenly appear being triggered by a change to rich text property.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.