jsommer is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

automatically add entry for associate if no entries for that month exist?

Hello everyone,

I have a database that is tracking attendance for several 100 employees. The Db is mainly used to log any policy occurrences (no call, no show). If an associate doesn't have any occurrences for a month, then they get a point credit. Right now, I set it up so the credit can be manually added. the problem is a supervisor (the user) may not know if their associate should receive this credit unless they review their attendance report. Opening the form to add a policy occurrence, then running a report to only re-open the same attendance form is inefficient. What I’d like to have is a way to have a credit automatically added if they did not receive any points for a particular month.

I’ve never done anything like this so I’m not sure if this is possible, where to start or what the best route is.

Thank you, all for your help!

ps. My office does not allow uploading any data/files so I am not able to upload a copy/sample. I'll try to do my best to describe the setup as much as you need.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Most anything can be done with enough code but Access doesn't read minds. This will likely require a VBA procedure to analyze data and someone has to push a button. Without an understanding of data structure and business processes, really hard to provide specific guidance.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jsommer is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Thank you for your response June7!

Attendance occurrences are entered into a table (through a form they fill out). Select a name, date and policy.

i would like to create a way that will automatically add a record to the same table for any credits. these are given when/if an associate does not recieve any attendance points for a month.
    let say Todd recieved attendance points in March 2015, but didnt get any more points until July... that means that he didnt recieve any points in April, May or June; so he should get a 1pt credit for each month. right now, you'd have to run a report for each associate to see if there where any months were they did not recieve any attendance points, then go back to the main form and enter a credit if they qualify for one.

does that make any more sense/help? is there anything else i can provide?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is 'policy'?

Why would credit points be a record in attendance table?

Right now a user must review records to determine if associate deserves a credit. Programming this analysis could be done but probably won't be simple. If a process can be represented in a decision flow diagram, an algorithm can be programmed.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    well - as J7 first pointed out about not reading minds - Access is 'event driven' - and so you must determine an event where code is triggered to add 1 where appropriate (and do any other auto record entries). This can be an admin's function to manually trigger with a command button or you can align the trigger to the opening of a form or report or something appropriate.

the automation will involve the run of a series of queries to determine the correct records to update, and then perform the updates.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.