Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Question Add more Intellisense to UDF in access

Can I add more intellisense to my UDF in access? Like a description of what each paramter does or a description of what the UDF does.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Certainly - commenting code is best programming practice. Any line in VBA preceded with apostrophe is a comment and not executable code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

How does adding commented code improve the Intellisense popup? If we were using .net I could insert 3 Apostrophe's after the Function declaration on the first line of the function. And this would bring a list of XML tags that I could Populate with related information that would be processed with Intellisense. This is the kind of automation I am looking for.

see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hcw1s69b.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

this looks similar to what I would like to do.
    http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-q...criptions.html
    Last edited by June7; 09-17-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added Links to explain.

June7 is online now VIP
    Sorry, I misunderstood. AFAIK, there is no way to manipulate/modify VBA intellisense.

VBA does have object browser.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I'm not aware of any code to interact/extend intellisense. However, following on to June's earlier post, you could have a small pseudo-data dictionary in which you record attributes of your "objects". You could also have some functions to display(msgbox or debug.print) information from your dictionary. You could probably invoke those functions from some short cuts.....

Visual Studio has definitly spoiled me lol. Thank you for explaining.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    A common and simple way is to create enums using the Enumeration type. For instance Black = 1, White = 2, Grey = 3. Then you could select Grey to assign 3 to something.

Another approach is to build custom classes. So you could instantiate a class and access its members the same as you would with other classes/objects.

That is about the extent of VBA and Access. So there are no overloaded versions of functions and no inheritance. I understand you are looking for something along the lines of comments, but what are you trying to accomplish? I just try to use descriptive words/names.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.