jasabel is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Relationship between two Tables. Field type mismatch. Integer and Text. ERROR

I am querying a SQL Server and I need to configure a relationship between two tables BUT their fields are different in Type. Although both hold numbers, one of them is an integer an the other is stored in a text record.Obviously I get a type mismatch error.

I suspect I have to convert the text to integer first I ignore the function.

Thanks a lot

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you tried using a Query Object in Access to create the JOIN? Why are you mentioning a function, what function did you create/use?

If you must create a 'Relationship', you will likely need a temp table on the client. Otherwise, I would expect Access to Cast the Integer or Cast the Text.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Have you tried using a Query Object in Access to create the JOIN? Why are you mentioning a function, what function did you create/use?

If you must create a 'Relationship', you will likely need a temp table on the client. Otherwise, I would expect Access to Cast the Integer or Cast the Text.
    Well, I have tried to make a intermediate query to change the text to a number using the function FormatNumber (field,0) and then link this query to the table with the integer field, but I get an mismatch error.

I am using the query designer all the time, its easy to it in plain SQL and passtrough it but I want to avoid this option.

regards

June7 is offline VIP
    FormatNumber (as does Format) function still results in a text value. Try number conversion functions: Val(), CInt(), CDbl(). Issue with them is they will error if field is Null.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I have found the solution here.... http://p2p.wrox.com/sql-language/121...rt-access.html

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Hey June7.
    You are right, I have sorted it using the Val function.
    Thanks a lot

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Ohhh no I have found another mismatch error using text fields. The thing is that I am linking tables in access from different databases

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    You need to determine where your query is running. If you build a query that is not a pass-through query (no globe icon in the Navigation Pane) you can use functions intrinsic to Access. For instance, you can cast a Number type to Text type.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib.../gg278896.aspx

You seldom need to use theses functions because Access does a pretty good job managing implicit casting. However, when linking to other types of back ends, it is more important to be explicit with data types.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.