blueman83 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Import data from one database to another

Hi all,

I'm new to Access, in that I've never used it! I've been given the job of updating the "library" for our childcare centre and I'm not sure where to go from here and I'm hoping someone can help me?! I'm sure they are probably very simple problems for someone who knows what they are doing!

A bit of background: We have 2 locations with 2 different libraries. The plan is that we are able to add the new books to the library database as we get them for each location. This had been working ok for a while before I started, but now we don't seem to be able to add new entries to the existing DB.

I have attached 3 files to this post to show what I am talking about. The 3 files are as follows:

Sample.accdb - this is how it should work. We should be able to enter the relevant details into 'Library : Table', search for entries with 'Library Query', browse all entries individually with 'Library', and view all items in the DB as a list by either 'Reference No.' or 'Title'.

Location 1.accdb - We want it to work as above, currently we can only use 'query' and the 2 'list' options as above, we can't seem to add new entries. I tried to import the data into the sample file above and it created a 'Table 1' field but didn't seem to work.

Location 2.accdb - Currently we can add new entries but can't seem to view the already saved entries.

As I said I'm sure when you guys look at it you will see that it is a very simple (stupid mistake!) that we've made, I'd just love some help to get the 2x location DB's looking like the sample DB.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I was unable to upload the 'sample' database and 'location 1' database as they exceeded the file limit, so I have uploaded them to another website, I hope that is ok.
    Sample - http://wikisend.com/download/110172/sample.accdb
    Location 1 - http://wikisend.com/download/637426/Location 1.accdb

Thanks again!
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    link your outside tables into your current db, main.mdb
    attach table tBooks from location1.mdb as tBooks1
    attach table tBooks from location2.mdb as tBooks2

then run append queries to add their data to your main data.
    (but if you use autonumber keys, this may have a problem with child records)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.