BruceUK is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Strange behaviour in a multi-line text box

Hi everyone,

I'm running Access 2003 under Windows 7 Home Premium.

I have a form with a multi-line text box control, for which the 'Enter Key Behaviour' property is set to "New Line In Field". In some circumstances, the 'Input Mask' property for this text box can be dynamically set to "Password" within the VBA code for the form module, so that the typed text is displayed as asterisks. (I know this sounds strange, but there is a reason for it!)

In this case, when typing text into this text box, if the Enter key is pressed, the cursor goes to the start of the next line as expected. However, when the next character is typed, the cursor reverts back to the line above. It leaves a space (i.e. no asterisk is displayed) at the position where the Enter key was pressed, but then continues to place the typed text as a continuation of the same line.

Can anyone explain why it behaves this way? Is there anything I can do in the VBA code for the form module to make the cursor remain on the next line when further text is typed after pressing the Enter key?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I was able to repro this in Access 2007. The breaks in the field that you are seeing are because the carriage return isn't a visible character i believe. seems like a bug. I may you could toggle the state of the fields password mask with the use of another control.

Hi, thanks for your response. I'm more concerned about the fact that the cursor jumps back to the first line when another character is typed, rather than staying on the new line.

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    After reviewing the documentation regarding input masks. I think this is an issue with the Input Mask options in use. I see no resolution to this issue while using an input mask. If you need the typed characters entered to maintain some sort of privacy, you could try encoding(not encrypting) the text as its being typed.

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptus View Post
    After reviewing the documentation regarding input masks. I think this is an issue with the Input Mask options in use. I see no resolution to this issue while using an input mask. If you need the typed characters entered to maintain some sort of privacy, you could try encoding(not encrypting) the text as its being typed.
    Thanks Perceptus. I might try that!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.