AccessNewbie123 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Cannot enter information in certain fields

Hi,

As my name says, I'm pretty new to Access. I have been working on a new database for work and everything was working fine until all the fields in one tab of my form would not let me enter any information.
    Each tab has fields from a different table, but I didn't use any subforms. Each table is related solely through a one to one primary ID linking the records across all the tables.

I don't get any error messages, just a beeping noise. Does anyone know what might be the problem?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    So there is a subform container control on each tab? The container control SourceObject is set directly to table? What table is the main form bound to?

One table must act as the 'master' and have a PK field which values will be saved to other tables as FK. The PK can be autonumber but the FK cannot. Cannot link tables on two autonumber fields.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    this is your problem

Each table is related solely through a one to one primary ID linking the records across all the tables.
    but I didn't use any subforms
    and this - the rule is one form, one table - so have your 'master' table as the recordsource to your main form and the other tables each have their own subform

Also if you are linking primaryid to primaryid, the chances are your tables are not set up correctly, there are very few situations where this is appropriate. You should be linking primaryID of the master table to a 'familyID' in each of the other related tables

The database is for vehicle information, so the different tables are to store different categories of information for each vehicle. There aren't any repeating values in the related tables, so is the familyID still necessary? I split the information into multiple tables just for organization so I don't have 100+ fields in one table. The main table is the most basic vehicle information, like make, model, and production year.

June7 is online now VIP
    Did you see post 2?

Can link on PK fields (although the 'child' PK can probably just be set as unique index, not PK) - one must act as the 'parent' and the 'parent' PK can be autonumber. I also have this 1-to-1 relationship situation.

Cannot have one data entry form with a query that joins all these tables as the RecordSource. Normally a form can do data entry/edit for only one table. Must use form/subform arrangement for entering new records regardless of relationship type.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ok, I'll give it a try with subforms. I was just surprised that only one of the tabs/tables wouldn't let me add/edit the fields. The other 6 had no issues at all.

Thank you

June7 is online now VIP
    Don't have to use forms as subforms although usually best - but must use subform container control. The SourceObject can be table, query, form, report.

If you have less than 255 fields and always will, might as well be one table. However, If not every field will have data for every record, I suspect your data structure could be redesigned and normalized.

Did the other 6 tabs allow creating new records? Do you have subform container control on each? Is the SourceObject directly set to table? Are Master/Child Links properties set?

The other tabs do allow creating new records. I do not have subform container control on any of them. I honestly don't know what you mean by SourceObject. I haven't done anything with master/child priorities.

June7 is online now VIP
    This is very odd. Are you using autonumber as PK in all tables? Already advised cannot do that.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Review https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-C266FE084102

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    The other tabs do allow creating new records
    this probably only works by coincidence since the creation of a new record creates a new ID which will 'usually' be the same as the one in your master table. However say you start to enter a new record in one of these tabs then hit the escape key (say by mistake), then enter again. It will have a new ID which will not match the ID of the 'master' record and most likely will end up being associated with your next master record. This may be why you are having problems in the one case

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.