Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

using ACCDE

I need a run time version of my database for other people throughout the company to use. I've read that ACCDE will lock the database. Does this mean I cant edit it? Like making new forms for example.

What is the best solution to provide everyone with access to the forms for data viewing and entry whilst still being able to work on the database?

thanks,
    Andy

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It is not a requirement to create an accde for users that have the free Access Run Time. They can open an accdb just as easily as an accde. However, their experience opening an accdb will not be the same as a user with the full version of Access installed on their computer.

An accde file will not have the ability to perform Design Time changes to the database/app. Similarly, users with the free RT will not have the ability to perform Design Time changes to any accdb or accde. You can simulate what your accdb file will be like if it were to produce an accde by changing the file extension from accdb to accdr.

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    You cannot make changes to the actual .accde file, but you should make a back up of the .accdb front end (or full database if you haven't split it) so that way if you need to make changes you can, and then just roll out another version of an accde to your clients.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Runtime does not provide the user access to the ribbon or navigation form - and consequently vba. This you will probably see as a benefit since it prevents users messing with the design. However it also does not provide users access to things like shortcut menus (e.g. right click on a column or control to select sort or filter etc), error handling etc. So you need to write these things yourself. Also, ensure you have a autoexec macro or designated navigation form for startup otherwise the user will have no means of opening a form.

If you want to see how the system works (and test it) under runtime, just change the .accdb suffix to .accdr - Ah see Itsme has already suggested that

I created a shortcut with /runtime at the end so I don't need to keep changing the file extension. Is this okay?

So from what I read here, Ill keep the file type as accdb. users with runtime will then open this and use it to add and edit data (providing I set it up right). this will also allow me to change the design. Is everything I said correct?

Also. I cant find a 32 bit version of runtime 2013. The runtime 2010 32 bit wont work with the newer database. I don't know how to pass this issue, any ideas?

Hopefully you guys can answer the questions I have asked because this is confusing. There's a lot of conflicting information regarding this.

thank you!

Andy

Ignore all of that, I believe the x86 version will work.. (takes so long to download here). But I have it working on a different machine without access now. Thanks for the help.

Ill start making my navigation better and its good to go! Thanks to everyone that's helped along the way!

Andy,

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Thumbs up glad to hear you have it figured

(As a side note you can use switchboard manager for your navigation, or code your own pathways between forms)

Awesome Nick! That will save me some time

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    ...However it also does not provide users access to things like shortcut menus (e.g. right click on a column or control to select sort or filter etc), error handling etc...
    FYI you can use Shortcut menus in RT. I have always hidden Toolbars, default shortcuts, Ribbons, etc. and then provided custom options for the users. So I do not have a solid grasp on what is available within the free RT. However, I believe default shortcut menus are available in newer versions of Access. Using the Access 2010 and 2013 (IIRC I also tested this in 2016 as an accdr) free RT, you can use custom Shortcut Menus. The difference with 2013 is that you have to run the code that creates the shortcut each time the app is launched by the user.

Also, I use code to hide the ribbon. When I do this, the Backstage and the Quick Access Toolbar are hidden. Both the Backstage and the Quick Access Toolbar is available to the user in the free RT version.

Because the Backstage is available I would not be surprised if you could create and use a custom tab within the ribbon and display it during RT. However, I have not tried this and may never take the time to experiment with this.

Okay, I don't believe I will need any of these anyway. I know I wont need to have any development tools in the RT version (such as the ribbon). When you say shortcuts, which ones specifically do you mean? I know what you are saying applies to all of them, I'm just wondering if any are more useful than others.

Cheers, Andy

CJ_London is offline VIP
    When you say shortcuts, which ones specifically do you mean?
    All of them, but as I and Itsme said, you can create them in code

I'm just wondering if any are more useful than others.
    All depends on how your application works. Personally I often allow users to use these
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_02 Aug. 04 09.23.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	21513

Ahh I see now, Thanks.

...but as I and Itsme said, you can create them in code...
    @Ajax
    Do you know if it is possible to use custom Ribbons during RT?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    yes - see this link on how to create them

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.14).aspx

or google 'access custom ribbon' for more links

or google 'access custom ribbon' for more links
    Thanks, I have been using the following as a reference. I just have not had the time to dedicate to the actual implementation.

There are submenus at the bottom of the page
    http://www.accessribbon.de/en/?Downloads
    and some downloads
    http://www.accessribbon.de/en/?Downloads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.