josh2009 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Update query using iif and select

Hi,

I am trying to write an update query that is baed on certain conditions. We have an interface that uses MS access and working with pre-import sql rules. Here is my query -

Code:
    Update Txtrpt a Inner Join TxtRpt b On a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id and a.patientid = b.patientid and a.documentid =  b.documentid Set a.ss_process = IIf(Count(*)>1,  "More than 1 record", "Only 1 record") WHERE a.TxtType ="TX" AND a.SS_Intermediate_ID = 6 and  a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id
    I get the ff error message though -
    You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression <name> as part of an aggregate function. (Error 3122)

I can write Transact-SQL stored procedures for conditional update queries but having trouble with MS Access. What I really need to accomplish is based on a condition, I will be able to run an update query whether the condition yields a true or false.

I've tried the ff -

Code:
    IIF((Select count(*) From TxtRpt a Inner Join TxtRpt b On a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id and a.patientid = b.patientid and a.documentid =  b.documentid Where a.TxtType="TX" AND a.SS_Intermediate_ID=6) > 1, "More than 1 record", "Only 1 record")
    And it gives the error -

Invalid SQL statement; expected 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'PROCEDURE', 'SELECT', or 'UPDATE'. (Error 3129)

Like I said, I am hoping to write a SQL in MS Access to be able to condition an update query. Here is the condition that I'd like to use and this select query actually works in access -

Code:
    Select  IIf(Count(*)>1,  "More than 1 record", "Only 1 record") From TxtRpt a Inner Join TxtRpt b On a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id and a.patientid = b.patientid and a.documentid =  b.documentid WHERE a.TxtType ="TX" AND a.SS_Intermediate_ID = 6
    And then based on the above condition, be able to run an update query based on the result if true or false.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fre is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

Not knowing exactly what real world problem you're trying to solve, I'll take a stab at adjusting the SQL.

First off, I'm going to break this into two update queries because Access is weird that way.

Update Txtrpt a Inner Join TxtRpt b On a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id and a.patientid = b.patientid and a.documentid = b.documentid
    Set a.ss_process = "Only 1 record"
    WHERE count(select * from Txtrpt a Inner Join TxtRpt b On a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id and a.patientid = b.patientid and a.documentid = b.documentid)=1 AND a.TxtType ="TX" AND a.SS_Intermediate_ID = 6 and a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id

Update Txtrpt a Inner Join TxtRpt b On a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id and a.patientid = b.patientid and a.documentid = b.documentid
    Set a.ss_process = "More than 1 record"
    WHERE count(select * from Txtrpt a Inner Join TxtRpt b On a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id and a.patientid = b.patientid and a.documentid = b.documentid)>1 AND a.TxtType ="TX" AND a.SS_Intermediate_ID = 6 and a.ss_intermediate_id <> b.ss_intermediate_id

Good luck

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.