Ursa2312 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007

Need Help With Conditional Formatting

Hello all, rather new to Access.

So I have a subform where the user is supposed to put the length of the object he is checking. Most of these items have a tolerance, and they all vary by size.

We have over 100 different items, I been using the Conditional Formatting but I did not know it had a limit of only 50 conditions.

This is the condition I used
    Code:
    (Right([Forms]![main test]![Part#],3)="813" And [length]<31.5) Or (Right([Forms]![main test]![Part#],3)="813" And [length]>32.5)
    Each part has it's size in it's name in millimeters, that's the 813mm. If the object is out of bounds, the text color should change to red.

So I tried doing this in code builder but I think I'm doing something wrong as the text color isn't changing.

This is what I used, only did one as an example to see if it makes the changes but it doesn't.
    Code:
    If (Right([Forms]![main test]![Part#], 4) = "1320" And Me.length < 51.45) Or (Right([Forms]![main test]![Part#], 4) = "1320" And Me.length > 52.45) Then Me.length.ForeColor = vbRed
    End If
    I put this in the textbox length, in the afterUpdate() section of the Data tab.

Thank you in advance.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is the form in continuous or datasheet view? Programmatically setting properties will be reflected in ALL records. This is why Conditional Formatting is intended for dynamic formatting of textboxes.

I think you will have to use a table of these 100 different items with a field for the desired color and include that table in the form RecordSource and then you need only one Conditional Format rule.

Don't need the End If with a one-line If Then - or is that End If mate for an outer If Then?

If Right([Forms]![main test]![Part#], 4) = "1320" And (Me.length < 51.45 Or Me.length > 52.45) Then Me.length.ForeColor = vbRed
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ursa2312 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    It was in Single Form view.

I thought I might have to do that, I'll go give it a try then.

So then the table should have 3 fields then right? One for the name of the part, one for minimal and one for maximum tolerance?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Should be okay in Single view. But would still use a table instead of code with 100 conditional statements (a very long Select Case structure). Table allows flexibility for modifying specifications.

Length is a reserved word. Should not use reserved words for names. Better textbox name would be tbxLength. Also, should not have spaces and special characters/punctuation (underscore is exception) in names. Better would be PartNum.

Include the table in the form's RecordSource (don't use INNER JOIN).

If Me.tbxLength < Me.MinTol Or Me.tbxLength > Me.MaxTol Then Me.tbxLength.ForeColor = vbRed

Could probably use Conditional Formatting for that criteria and then don't need VBA.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.