thepigslayer is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Opening Certain Forms Depending on Inputs

Hello everyone,

First off I am new to access and I have spent a decent amount of time trying to resolve my issue. I have programming experience with C++ although I am really struggling.

Essentially I am trying to build a macro or even a VBA script which would open an initial form with various data entry options, and then depending on the options chosen it would open specific forms sequentially with some preset data values.

I can go into more detail if needed; however, the problem is at my work (lab in an industrial plant) my coworkers and I waste a lot of time inputting data as our forms just include every field (which only around 10% of fields are utilized for each entry) because certain circumstances will dictate what fields need to be filled in, so for each entry most fields are left blank. These circumstances are entirely predictable as to what fields I will need for each entry so I thought I would easily be able to figure this out on my own but I have been unable to do so.

Thanks a lot for any help

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Open specific form to new record and populate fields according to some parameters input on first form - just more code. I do that (also work in a lab).

What have you attempted? What happens - error message, wrong results, nothing?

Can download my db from https://app.box.com/shared/r8nea07sng
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    If the circumstances are entirely predictable you could have different forms for each circumstance with only the required fields. Use switchboard manager to manage the forms and the main page could be key words for each circumstance (test results -> tests form; product request -> request form; etc.) . Unless there is a lot of forms then switchboard mgr would become tedious and annoying...

thepigslayer is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am unable to try at the moment but will give an update after I've tried both suggestions!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Read your PM to me. Hard to advise on code because I don't know your db. You need to attempt and provide for analysis. Take one step at a time. First, get code working that opens appropriate form. I really don't know what you mean by 'open specific forms sequentially' - form 1 opens form 2 and form 2 opens form 3, etc ?

As always, the real trick is figuring out what event(s) to put code into.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.