Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fidget_sane is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)

New access user -- help in creating a sub system

I am totally new to MS Access .. I have worked only on using it as a database but never developed applications in it .. I got an offer for an access application and since i was jobless for an year I want to take it now .. can any one help me in giving me some links or tutorials that help me finish this project.

this is the 1st part of application
    Payment application
    Replacing existing system (where the transaction table is directly changed) to a new system where payments are entered into a sub system. Once the cash has been entered for the day, a posting process will be initiated by the user to post the transactions to the primary transaction table. This will ensure that cash entries are accurate and complete before being entered into the main
    transaction table. In addition, we will have an audit trail as to who changed what and when the change occurred.

can any one help me do this by giving some help regarding this .. I have few books but since I need to submit it quickly I cant go about reading the book which takes a long time.

Kindly help me ..

Thanks a lot in advance

P.S: I am working on office 2010(2007 will also work for me)

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Wait, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by fidget_sane View Post
    ...I am totally new to MS Access ...
    ...I got an offer for an access application and I want to take it now...
    ...I have few books but since I need to submit it quickly I cant go about reading the book which takes a long time...
    So you accepted a job you aren't qualified for, and basically want us to do it for you because you dont have the time to learn it? Do I get a cut of your pay?

hehe ... for sure .. but I get paid when I finish it .. so let me know what we are talking about and its a 5week project and what I posted there is only 1 part of it .. there are 5 other parts to it.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Sorry, I stopped working for "promised" pay a while ago.

ok so I am atleast being helped or are you just playing around .. I am a MBA graduate its just that I was never into programing and so i need help .. I didnt take the job yet .. if I could get help I am planning to take it and it starts tomorrow .. I do not want to give false hopes so I am waiting for people to let me know if any one is interested in helping.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Honestly, I was kind of hoping you were the one playing around. From what I understand, this is a forum where you get help on bits and pieces of your work. Not a forum where you provide your tasks and ask others to do it for you. If you have some code that isnt working, we'll be more than happy to help fix it for you.

Besides, since when does being an MBA mean you have knowledge whatsoever on the development and implementation of a database? My recommendation is, if you dont know what youre doing at all, dont take the job. However, as I said earlier, if you are doing the job, and come across snags, THATS when we'll be here for you.

Datagopherdan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    The intent of this forum is to provide people with assistance with Microsoft Access development. Theres many experienced developers on here who own their own Microsoft Access Consulting companies, myself included. We are all happy to provide assistance to those who are genuinely interested in learning the program but as TheShabz said, we're not here to do other's work for them.

If you have an interest in learing about the program and relational database design, I'm sure people would be more than willing to assist you in learning but doing the actual work is in your hands.

As far as "False Hopes", if you are considering taking on a job, you should only take on that job if you are confident that you have the necessary skillsets that the client needs in order for the project to be completed correctly. Taking on a job that you are not qualified to do or is outside your area of expertiese benefits nobody.

As I said, if you are interested in learning about development, please feel free to ask for assistance on here and I'm sure experienced developers such as TheShabz would be willing to provide you with answers to help get you started in the right path.

Good luck with your project.

Dan
    Access Development

Quote Originally Posted by fidget_sane View Post
    ok so I am atleast being helped or are you just playing around .. I am a MBA graduate its just that I was never into programing and so i need help .. I didnt take the job yet .. if I could get help I am planning to take it and it starts tomorrow .. I do not want to give false hopes so I am waiting for people to let me know if any one is interested in helping.

c_smithwick is offline Underpaid Programmer
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    I work for the Dept of Defense and we have plenty of folks dong a job they aren't qualified for and always asking others to do their work for them without compensation! What makes this guy so unusual? As far as I know that's the American way. Whine because you're too lazy to do it yourself, all the while begging for a handout from someone who is willing to put out the sweat and earn his way.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Having served in the military for nearly 10 years, I am very familiar with DOD protocol and the way things are done.

I have found that instead of finding the fault in everything and assuming the worse in people because of some bad experiences, it's much better to be open-minded and not try to ridicule and find the faults in everything.

When you take the time to try to do something correctly instead of making assumptions such as "That's just the way it is" more often than not, you get much more favorable results.

So, instead of looking at your own bad experiences and using that as a type of stereotype where that holds true for everything, try to view that as anything else is in life. Not everything is perfect. Just because it's that way where you work or you have seen Americans looking for free hand-outs does not mean that, that is the case everywhere.

Well, that's my 2-cents on the subject anyway. Best of luck to you.

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Having served in the military for 21 years myself, (sticking with it until retirement - what's the use of going HALFWAY and getting out with nothing), I don't find fault in everything, but do realize that in spite of the high hopes held by some tree-hugging, welfare-for-everybody, "Can't we all just get along" types, some folks are just lazy arseholes. Not everyone of course, but way too many for my comfort! And that's MY $2.00 on the subject. I stopped relying on luck a long time ago - hard work gets me much further along.

Grumpy old fart and proud of it.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I would hardly say getting out with nothing. The military enabled me to get a college education, gave me a solid work-background, and taught me invaluable skills that I was able to use in the civilian world.

Serving for 21 years is definitely admirable and I hold all the respect in the world for that but I would completely disagree with you thinking that most people are lazy and relying on luck. You've obviously had some bad experiences, I get it but on the whole from my experiences of working with many, many, many different companies and people that's not the case at all.

maximus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    all of you are right:

C_smithwick
    Dan
    The Shahbz

lets not start a battle here guys. Yes this site infact is there to solve problems faced while developing a project and asking someone to develop something here is asking for too much.

We can make this fact known to somebody politely. All of you have profound knowledge about Access and such harsh comments will certainly discourage a novice like me for sure.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Maximus,

No worries. C_smithwick and I just have differing views, no argument. We're just expressing our opinions and keeping at a respectable level with no name calling or harsh comments towards one another.

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Grrrrrrrrr!

Windows XP Access 2003
    I love this thread. What's a good forum without some drama in it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.