kcphila is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

new user question about using access for a shipping database. Involves replicating an excel VLOOKUP

Hello,

New user with Access here. I'm working with an excel workbook that uses a complex VLOOKUP to calculate a shipping rate based on a zipcode entered into a cell. I didn't build it, but I understand how it operates pretty well. The problem is that I need to calculate lots of shipping rates for lots of different zipcodes frequently. The way the excel sheet is setup, it can only calculate one zipcode in one cell. I can probably build another excel workbook that replicates the function the way I need it to be, but it seems to me Access would be a better tool. Has anyone seen an Access database used in this way before?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have created quoting systems based on mileage, postal codes, rate formulas, etc. If I were to attack it, I would probably not be too concerned with how the VLOOKUP worked and more concerned with the Business Rules that dictate how rates are formulated. The workbook is likely to have much of the information needed. However, a fully automated system would probably require additional information about operations.

kcphila is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Thanks! Appreciate the help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.