Luvflt is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

OLE Server Isn't Recognized

I had been using MS Access 2010 running with Win XP. My organization just purchased new computers and I am now running MS Access 2010 with Win 7 64 Bit. We have an SQL Server so our data base file is a .adp file. I had used Photoshop CS3 to manipulate photos that were placed into the Data Base Table for ID Cards. Now I am using Photoshop 6 CC. When I attempt to place the photos (.psd) in the table I get an error that says: " OLE Server isn't recognized to register the OLE server reinstall it. I have tried to research this issue and sort of understand the photos are looking for an OLE server that no longer exists. Could it be that the OLE Server recognized Photoshop CS3 but doesn't see Photoshop 6 CC as the same???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	21190Is anyone aware of a fix or how I can resolve this issue? I am unable to reinstall Photoshop CS3. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Sounds like you have a form with an unbound OLE control on it. Try rebuilding the control and, when you do, reference the new version of Adobe software. Be sure to create copies before goofing around with stuff. You will want to have something to refer to for settings and VBA code in event handlers.

Luvflt is offline Novice
    Thanks for the info but I doubt that is the issue. Everything has worked perfectly for the last few years and nothing has changed. The tables, forms, queries are all exactly as they have been. The only thing that is different was MS Office 2010 was loaded on to the new computer and I use Photoshop 6 CC instead of Photoshop CS3. I am not an expert but I think something in MS Office didn't get loaded correctly or something similar. The data base was on the server so no changes there.???

Quote Originally Posted by Luvflt View Post
    ...The only thing that is different was MS Office 2010 was loaded on to the new computer and I use Photoshop 6 CC instead of Photoshop CS3...
    This is why I posted my comment.

Luvflt is offline Novice
    Ok so how do I rebuild the control and where do I reference the new version of Adobe. All I have to work with is a table that holds the name of a student and the place for a photo. Normally all I have to do is go to the photo table and in the photo field and right click to insert and object I do it by file and by browsing the folder then inserting it. Other than that I am ignorant as to the control other that in the table there is a field name "photo" with image as the type of field. I saw no reference to any version of any software? Any help would be appreciated. I am not the one who developed this program only manage it and use it.

I don't have much experience with OLE data types in tables because I usually store the path in the table as plain text and then use an OLE object in a form to dynamically link.

So, I mocked up a sample DB and gave it a go at the table level. I was able to get the same dialog I was thinking about from the table. Perhaps the best approach for you is to make a copy of your table/DB and do the same thing I did. In your table, create a new record. you can do this by placing a value in a field other than the OLE Object field or you can simply Right Click the OLE field (the one at the bottom of the table that would be the new record).

You will be prompted by the wizard. I chose to create a new file. This brought the dialog I was searching for to select the correct reference. I suppose if you chose the option to link to an existing file, Access will create a reference to the Default Program that opens that file type. I say create a new file so you can select the reference.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OLE_Reference_FromTable.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	21195

I will take a wild guess that this will update the reference for all of the Objects in all of the records. If it does not, there should be a way to automate the process of updating each field's reference. Not sure of what that is right now. Hopefully it is as easy as updating one.

Luvflt is offline Novice
    Ok I understood what you did. I did the same things and I got the same error. I actually took it one step further and built a totally new Photos table from scratch and made adjustments to all the associated queries. When I got to the wizard to insert the object I got the same error. I am leaning now on the fact that it is an issue with MS Office in the large scope of things. Unless someone else has seen this and has another idea??? Thanks again

Did you try creating a new Photoshop file in a new record? The reason I ask is that maybe the path stored in the previous records' OLE field uses a "Start In" argument. For instance, if you create a shortcut on your desktop, you can add an argument to have a specific Application/exe open the file. It would seem reasonable to get that error if the "Start In" path leads to a directory where the previous version of Photoshop used to exist.

I suppose the fact that you have an adp and SQL as a BE could be a contributing factor. However, this factor has not changed since the process used to function.

Luvflt is offline Novice
    Ok, well after reading another article I found it to say that the error is a result of the photo editor not being on the same computer. I mentioned that I was using Photoshop CC. Upon trying to research the difference between the CC version and CS version I found the CC version was a cloud version. It got me thinking that maybe a portion of that program resided on the cloud and therefore was not on my computer. (not sure if that was accurate but that was my thought). So I uninstalled it and put on Photoshop CS6 and now everything works as it should. So...once again I am not really sure as to why I got the error but it obviously had something to do with the Photoshop version. No matter what the issue is resolved. Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvflt View Post
    ...So...once again I am not really sure as to why I got the error but it obviously had something to do with the Photoshop version...
    FWIW, the screenshot I provided was of CC.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.