sunnyday is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Record deleted!!

Hi I have a split DB with back end in a network shared drive and front ends in user stations.
    Now someone has corrupted in the back end or front end. Whenever I run existing queries in either back end or front end it says Record deleted. and now it asks for everything. Although the main linked table has the data sitting on the back end .
    Please help

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you run Compact & Repair on both files?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I have run compact and repair on the back end file and now the front ends on all the other workstations seems to work fine. Now the back end table has a table called MySysCompactError created automatically after I ran Compact n repair. Do I have to again run Comapct & Repair in all front ends again?
    The front ends on all stations now works fine though.
    I have not tried opening the MySysCpmapactError table as I am reluctant to open and see whats inside.
    The cause of the error was someone edited a record from a query without first changing it via the main table or through the front end form

How do I prevent users from accessing queries. I know hiding them is easy via Object properties but somebody who knows to crack it will do so in Options>Navigations.
    Is there a way without VBA to protect certain front end and back end queries with passwords?
    Also can I protect the back end with a password?Ceratin tables and queries in back end with a password. I do not want the whole bakend file encrypted with a password.

As I mentioned the DB is a split one and front ends sits on each user station

Also as the data sits on the back end on a network drive , ho wcan I do backups and how frequent to prevent corruption or data loss.
    I do not how do I do back ups.Can I copy paste the back end folder into a zipped folder and store it a file/folder?

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have never used password protection. There is no way to password protect individual tables or queries. I think SQLServer and SQLExpress have some capability to do that. I do hide navigation pane, disable ribbon, disable shortcut menus and have customized ribbon. However, all can be overridden by shift key bypass. I trust my users not to use it. No one but me ever touches the backend directly.

I have never seen MySysCompactError table or at least never noticed one.

I don't do backups, I let the network backup serve as my file backup. Maybe I should do my own nightly backup and someday I might wish I had but so far never had to recover backend. Can certainly copy the file.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Now this is what I have found and its pretty amusing.
    After I ran Compact & repair in backend, all front ends worked properly and so did all queries.Then I copy pasted the back end into a zipped folder into our corporate storage folder.And the result
    The back end table now seems fine with the MySysCompactError table gone(after copy pasting was done) and all clutters gone so one cannot see the ### empty fields, and also when you delete a record from main table in back end, it does not show record deleted in front ends or back end.
    So the front ends now also does not show the empty records which is actually good.The only thing that bugs me is that all the queries which were created earlier in the back end are gone. But good point is we can still create queries again

Its good that performing compact and repair on back end also removed the clutters in all front ends forms too.Hence the user form front ends looks good.

For now this seems to be solved hence will mark this thread as solved
    Last edited by sunnyday; 07-08-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.