endrezsombor is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

access 2007 memo field error

Hi

Access 2007 memo field corruption

I am currently supporting a Access database. The database has a Access 2007 Front end which in saved on the desk top for multiple users and the backend sits on an Access 2007 database on the office server (Dell Xeon 490). Users input and view records in the form on a tracker and data table.

The problem field is a memo field and we know users sometimes incorrectly try to access the same record at the same time and if done in normal circumstances they will be locked out from this record.

However recently we have has “#Error” values appearing on the memo field and therefore the system is loosing the data. Anyone else had similar problems with Access 2007 and know the exact cause of this error and recommend any actions to prevent this? This also just affects the same memo field each time. The significance of this memo field is text from the internet is copied on the field and saved in Access 2007 database.

I would be grateful if anyone could provide some guidance on this issue. I am not sure if recent server slowdown and performance issues is contributing to this error occurring on an access DB.

Thanks

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I am not sure if recent server slowdown and performance issues is contributing to this error occurring on an access DB.
    It could be network performance. However, I would expect additional symptoms like users unable to open the DB after closing an orphaned lccdb files on the server.

If the memo field is getting updated via VBA, there could be an issue with record locking. Imagine a user with a form open and the form is bound to the table. If code runs and updates that record, there could be a conflict. Add two more users that are doing the same thing and odds for an issue increase. One approach may be to have the user disconnect from the table and then run the code. Have the code error trap for updates.

Another issue may be that the memo field is Rich Text format and you are importing a string literal that includes special characters.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.