JohnBlue is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

How do I make a search like this?

(Ok, so I made a post like this yesterday but people seemed to be confused because I used the term ''row'' instead of ''cell''.
    I can work with a cell search though.

I am correcting this now. I also removed some questions)

I want to be able to make searches for multiple sets of characters at the same time.

The default setting cancels a result if I have inputed a set that is not on that cell (I am talking about excel cells).

Something that could be used in a store or by a lawyer looking for specifics.

So these are what I am looking for:

1.) I want any cell with any of the words I type to show on the results.

2.) I want the cells with the most matches to show up first.

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Your query will include any and all fields you need. If you are searching by lets, say an ItemName, then in your query field that is ItemName select sort to be Where, and in the criteria field type [Type Item Name] and when you run the query you will be prompted to type in the item name you are searching for. As far as organizing them the way you want I do not know, sorry.

Windows XP Access 2003
    But how do I do that? Like, what do I click? I really don't know much about this. I was just lead to access by people I asked for this.
    I can't find a way to search for multiple strings and not having the search angine block any cell tht doesn't have every last one of these.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Tables in Access are the things that store the data. They have columns and they have rows. Columns go up and down. Rows go side to side. Columns have fields and do not have cells. Rows have fields and do not have cells. Excel has cells. A single row in a table represents a record.

Searching across an entire row is not a typical need. It requires advanced techniques. In the other thread, orange provided a link to an example DB that does this.
    Last edited by June7; 06-18-2015 at 04:10 PM.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    "Row" and "cell" are Excel terms.
    "Record" and "Field" are Access terms for approximately the same things.

Still not really clear. What do you mean by "Set"?

Maybe you could give an example: "I want to search a record set (1 or more tables) to find the value 'ABC')". Or is it values??

1.) I want any cell with any of the words I type to show on the results.

2.) I want the cells with the most matches to show up first.
    1) After re-reading your post, maybe this will help or at least get you started.
    See http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62code.html

2) After you find all of the search terms, you would have to group & count the results, then sort descending. (thinking out loud)

Will probably require a lot of VBA code...... but do-able.

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlue View Post
    But how do I do that? Like, what do I click? I really don't know much about this. I was just lead to access by people I asked for this.
    I can't find a way to search for multiple strings and not having the search angine block any cell tht doesn't have every last one of these.
    Click 'Create' tab and select 'Design Query'. Select the table(s) that contain the fields that have the data you want to see returned in your search. Add those tables, then drag and drop those fields into the bottom portion of the query builder.

I re-read your original post. It sounds like you want to be able to type in search criterion when you run the query (search) for multiple fields? So like search an item type and a item brand? (example of store): search soups that are also Campbell. Am i right in thinking this?

If you are being blocked becauase the field does not contain everything use wildcards. (*,?,# etc.) They can be helpful to fill in search criteria without specifying the exact character, giving you a little more freedom with what you want your query to return. Here is a link for access wildcards:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...d12d1#bmansi89

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    johnBlue,

Did you look at the demo database that I suggested in this post
    https://www.accessforums.net/access/...tml#post280213

When people don't understand your question, I don't think posting another similar post or re-posting the same question is helpful.

When you ask a question, and get answers, keep working on that post/issue. You can clarify, provide examples, post a copy of your database, or tell readers you have given up.

But re-posting is as confusing as a confusing post itself.

I gave you a link to a universal search routine and database. I suggested it may not meet your requirements because, I, like others, didn't really understand what you needed. And still don't.

Take a look at the universal search, see if it meets your needs. If it does great, if it doesn't then please tell us so and tell us more about what it is you are trying to accomplish. Examples, and plain simple English helps with communications.

Steve has already mentioned that "cell" is an Excel/spreadsheet term -- not database.

Good luck.

Yes, I am trying to put it into practice. Thank you, it could be quite useful.
    I didn't have much time to reply these last two days. Now I can focus on it properly.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.