George is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Hosting Access on Sharepoint

Good day.

I would like to publish my access file in sharepoint but I know very little about sharepoint and how to attain a free or testing or trial account. Essentially I would like others to access and edit the file on the web simultaneously.

All youtube sites speaks to how to get started using sharepoint but always assuming that you already have access but this is not my case. I need to know how to acquire sharepoint.

on my computer there is a sharepoint application which I installed but it seems to have no purpose.

Can anyone assist me in learning more about acquiring sharepoint?

Thanks

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I do not have my head fully around what SharePoint is. There are many ways to use SharePoint and many ways to take advantage of what it has to offer. I suppose the first thing anyone should do is try to understand that it is not something that is tangible. Microsoft describes it as a, "Technology". So, I guess you cannot even call it a server.

Basically, you need a server to run SharePoint, somewhere to host it. I believe it needs IIS to support it. So you will need to start with something like Windows Server 2012. Then you need to purchase Client Access Licenses. These come in two flavors, Enterprise and Standard. There is also this thing called SharePoint Foundation. I guess this is the software that can be downloaded and this is what provides the framework that allows the "Technology" to work. With all of this you can start configuring your SharePoint and integrating into your network.

So, all of this is why there does not seem to be any answers as to how to get SharePoint up and running. It takes an entire network to use it. You have to have a purpose and implement certain functionality within SharePoint Foundation that will serve your purpose.

There are companies that host SharePoint and will sell you subscriptions that will give you access to their servers. So, SharePoint is available as a Platform as a Service (PaaS).

Here is one example - But I do not think this is suitable for having backends with Access. You might be able to create lists and Have Access link to them though.
    http://www.networksolutions.com/web-...comparison.jsp

You have to play by the rules of your host. You may find you do not have access to the services and or the functionality you desire. Another approach would be to spin up your own VM's using something like Microsoft Azure. You could employ Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). Here, you can build and manage everything you need and pay as you go. There are tools available to create your Virtual Network and include SharePoint Foundation.

Managing your own network is probably not what you desire.

Thanks IsMe,

For that detailed explanation.

I wonder if there are any youtube sites that can explain even further.
    I know what I want to achieve and its to be able to have my files on a server in the cloud and shared by many users at once. Certainly for access files allowing multiple users simultaneously.

I would approach it this way. Decide what it is that you must have available to you and others via a web browser. After you identify that, leave the rest to Access as a desktop application.

Now, look at what it is that must be available via a web browser. Determine if what you need is a file share, a place to backup data, a blog, a way to chat, etc. The list is endless and there are different ways to manage all of that stuff.

If you need access to a relational database via a web browser. I would look for options other than access. I would consider SQL as the back end and a web app using .net. Your Access Desktop Application could connect to the same SQL server databases that a web app connects to. The backend could be in the cloud. However, you have to consider latency. There will be a delay for reads and writes when comparing to an Access file that resides the same LAN as the Client.

I have looked into SharePoint a little bit. It seems to me that implementing SharePoint just because it integrates with Access is the wrong move. Use SharePoint because you need several of its features, not because you need one or two.

Thanks.
    Your information and guidance is very informative, but it causes me to reflect on my limitations in the programming arena.

Now, I can use access and its VBA to develop a database, but as for SQL I don't know much about this. As you would know the access is lovable because it does most of the programming for the developer and therefore you don't have to learn as much code as is necessary. So maybe you can point me to where I can attain the SQL and learn to program with it.

For my deeper problem I have taken all you said into consideration and maybe I should reveal my actual situation: I am working in a school and I have an Access App which allows teachers to enter their topics taught on a daily basis. I want to allow them to do so from at home or school. I know if it were at school only they would be able to use the campus network and file share, but I want to go further because I want to be able to do more apps, later, that would require working away from school. Particularly though, I would want many teachers to be able to use the app simultaneously without file holding or data corruption. So after hearing about SharePoint I thought it was my absolute solution. I can't think of anything else that can get me to the web and still be simple and inexpensive.

I know you are not SharePoint savvy but hope bit more can be push me further to the ultimate solution.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    So maybe you can point me to where I can attain the SQL and learn to program with it.
    The best free online resource is probably Microsoft Virtual Academy. You can use your MS account to sign up. There are some sites that offer tutorials for a membership fee. Depending on what you are trying to learn would determine what the best paid resource. Technology changes so tutorials need to be current with technology, too.
    http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.c...se-development

Just like SharePoint is big and difficult too understand, so is SQL Server. Usually, it is a team of people that supports a database(s).

Having said that, you can farm out most of the administration using services that offer VM's or IaaS. The easiest would probably be Azure's PaaS and their version of SQL DB. That would help you to get your SQL Server spun up and your DB built. Then, it is up to you to create all of your tables, views, stored procedures, and functions. You might be able to get by using a utility to create tables on your SQL database. Regardless, you will want to research all of this stuff before taking the plunge. Azure and their PaaS is pretty nice and a lot of things are taken into consideration for you. But you should have an idea about Security, Endpoints, Connection Strings, etc.

I do not know how many users you are considering. But, it may be easiest to have your Users RDP to a Client on Premises. So, you could continue to use Access as a backend and the on Premises client would maintain a persistent connection to the BE. Also, shared resources like folders etc. would still be available.

As for SharePoint and considering if it is right for you. I think it would be most helpful if you have many many users and some of those users are Power Users. If you had several Power Users acting as department heads, they could take advantage of PowerPoint's built in interface to create websites, file shares, calendars, etc. Otherwise, I would just by the specific cloud services I needed and build the interface once (without SharePoint).

I have started with the link. It is interesting seem alright so far. However, can I download SQL? What Editor can I use? What is MYSQL? can Assess be use to program In SQL?

Thanks.

can I download SQL?
    SQL stands for Structured Query Language. It is a standardized language for communicating with databases. There are different proprietary versions. For instance, Transact SQL, aka T-SQL, is Microsoft's version for use with Microsoft SQL Server. You can download a free version of Microsoft SQL Server 2014 here
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...14express.aspx

I use Express with Tools (SQLEXPRWT). There are different options to download. Depending on what you need to do, select the one you need. SQLEXPR and SqlLocalDB are beneficial when used in combination with Visual Studio. However, these versions do not include SSMS and this is why I always opt to use the version that comes "with tools". They offer the 32 bit version and I suppose this might be beneficial to connect with Access but I have not tried that since the original versions like 2005 or 2008. Now, I download the 64 bit versions.

What Editor can I use?
    It depends on what you are trying to do. There are crazy things you can do nowadays from Visual Studio like scaffolding using the Entity Framework and MVC. Azure can host a DB for you and they have a management portal that uses Silverlight and your web browser. The typical tool to use is SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS comes with the Tools version in the download I linked to). Having said that, you can run pass through queries from Access and do things like create users, etc. So, I do not think there are any limits, really.

What is MYSQL?
    It is Oracle's version of Microsoft SQL Server.

can Assess be use to program In SQL?
    Yes. However, there may be a more practical way of doing certain things. Like I mentioned before, you can have Access as a front end and do typical CRUD operations with ease. Anything else will have its challenges.

Thank for the details.

I explored the link to Transact SQL and view some of the tutorials. I find them very interesting but would take some time to digest. I even downloaded Visual Studio but it is too large a concept for me to take on at this stage. I therefore need to get back to basic.

So can an access database application be stored on SharePoint and accessed by several clients? Also I have a school timetable app in Excel; can this be also place in share Point and used by several clients also. I am trying to avoid having to start from scratch since I already have these apps; I just want some place to put them with public accessibility in minimum time, while I take my time and develop in the suggested areas.

So can an access database application be stored on SharePoint and accessed by several clients?...
    No. AFAIK know the only thing that Access can connect to, with regard to SharePoint, is a SharePoint list. I do not know if there is a technology behind the scenes that stores the actual list for SharePoint or SharePoint manages the List entirely. The way I understand it is SharePoint has the capability to create, manage, and own lists. With Access 2010 you can create Web Forms that connect to SharePoint Lists. I believe you can connect to SharePoint lists with Access 2013 but 2013 does not use Web Forms. Instead, Access 2013 has a distinction between a Web Database and a Desktop Database. So, a Web Database can connect to a SharePoint List.

I have not played around with this SharePoint list thing. From what I can tell it is a data Collection of type List. Perhaps it uses the .NET framework. I do not know.

Having said that, Access 2013 Web Databases seem to use some sort of SQL engine as their BE. So, maybe there is a way to have a traditional type SQL Database as a BE for an Access Web Database FE. From everything I have read and seen, the only way to create an Access Web Database is to have it connect through SharePoint. It seems that SharePoint sits between IIS and Access or on top or whatever.

Also I have a school timetable app in Excel; can this be also place in share Point and used by several clients also. I am trying to avoid having to start from scratch since I already have these apps; I just want some place to put them with public accessibility in minimum time, while I take my time and develop in the suggested areas
    Maybe the best thing for you is to convert your spreadsheets to lists. You might want to look into that link I provided earlier for Network Solutions. I can't say Network Solutions is the best thing since sliced bread. But, they do have that SharePoint thing. I have tried it out. You can create a place for staff to share files, create users, etc. There are different templates to get you started. And it is rather self explanatory. I don't think I made any lists though. I just created different users, permissions, shares, etc. I think I used the Team Site template or something.

I found some information that you might find of interest to you. I purchased this book as an E-Book (PDF).
    https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/...-9780735667686

I did not read the whole thing and have not decided, yet, if I will or not. I did read the Introduction, though. From what I see, you might be able to get what you need using an Office 365 subscription that includes Office 365 ProPlus. Advanced topics within the book talk about using SSMS and Visual Studio. I mentioned SSMS and Visual Studio earlier. In fact, you downloaded SSMS when you downloaded the Express with tools thing.

Anyway, it seems you can get an Access Web Database up and running with your ProPlus subscription and the included OneDrive (not sure if that supports a relational database or a list only). The advanced topics talk about Azure SQL Server and I do not know if the Access Web Database has the capability to connect to a Stand Alone (separate from your ProPlus subscription) Azure SQL DB. But, it seems that this is likely. The one caveat with building an Access Web DB is that there is not any VBA. It depends entirely on Macro Objects.

Here is a link to the Office 365 subscription I am talking about.
    https://products.office.com/en-us/bu...iness-software

RyanP is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you are interested in Access Service; SharePoint Online subscription is fairly inexpensive... https://products.office.com/en-us/Sh...arepoint-plans

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.