klnlsu is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Trying to create an entry form for a table with filtering based on a field in another table

We have an inventory item file that was created in another software program. We can edit data in this file using Access, but we can't add fields. We created a "piggy-back" item table in Access that has the additional fields that we need. I am trying to create a data entry form for this piggy-back table, but I want to filter the records using a field in the master file prior to opening the form. I can create a query to filter the records, but the query becomes un-editable when I create a join between the master file and the table. I'm sure there is a simple solution, but I can't find it.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds like will have to base form on a query and construct field with expression using DLookup().

Why is the query that joins tables not editable? Don't they have a 1-to-1 relationship? How do you edit the file with Access? Can you set link but it is NOT editable - like Excel link? Use objects in VBA to manipulate the external data file?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

klnlsu is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    I solved this by creating a form for the query to filter the data, and then putting the form for editing the table as a subform on that form. Thanks for the suggestions.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Of course, should have seen that. Glad you got it working.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.