sprovoyeur is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Poor performance in design mode after split

My appologies if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it. I have a very small 2007 DB that I am designing for a small group of users. I was designing it on my local HD and yesterday I split it and put the BE on the company network. The BE is < 1MB, the FE is < 2MB. The FE is still on my local drive and I am trying to make a few last minute design changes. Now, whenver I try to do anything it takes quite a while to complete. This includes initial form load but more importantly also includes making and saving minute design changes. If I try to just repostion a control, there is a lag in the actual repositioning and then it can take over a minute to save. Even going from form view to design view takes a while. I'm not sure why as the FE is on my local drive and even if it weren't it seems way too long for such a small file to be saved. It is making designing impossible. Again, I'm not actually running the app or running a query to the backend where a network bottleneck could come into play, this is just simple design modification and save. I know this sounds like one of those obscure issues but if anyone has run into this and has a suggestion I would greatly appreciate your feedback. I did try to compact and it seemed to help but only for a minute then it started again.

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In general, anytime you are interacting with something stored on a network drive, it will be slow depending on time of day, users, etc. What I do when I make any changes is create a new version. I will have my full db, FE, and BE. anytime I need to make a change, I will do it in the full db (stored locally), split it again, name it Ver.x (x being the previous version ++), place both the new FE and BE on the network, then email all the users to download the new FE. It makes it much easier for me to keep track of my changes.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.