robine13 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Importing CSV file into Access so the imported information is available in "Contact List"

Let's just start with I am BEYOND a newbie.... Access was made available to our non-profit and I thought it might help me keep better track of volunteers. What organization they are from, if they are reliable, high school, what events they came to etc. We have a web-based email and I can export the contacts in a CSV file and I imported them into my new access desktop based contact Management Database however they appear as a seperate tab. How can I get that information into the Contact List?

Thank you
    Robin

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    When you Import a file into Access, you have the option to import to a new table or an existing one. You should be choosing to import it to your existing table. If they are not in the same order in your CSV file as they are in the table, then you will need to use a Header row on your CSV file where the column names exactly match the field names in your table.

Otherwise, you could import the CSV file to a temporary table in Access, and then use an Append Query to write the data to your Contact table.

robine13 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thank you...the only options I saw were import the source data into a new table in the existing database, amend a copy of the records to the table (I can choose Contacts or Settings) and when I choose contacts the "property not found" warning pops up, or I can use link the data by using a linked table. Neither of the first two options seemed to work, so I'l try to figure out the append query option. THank you again!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.