Djacsnp is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Pound signs restoring tables

I am currently maintaining a program for a client that they developed piecemeal and is pretty much staying together with duct tape and luck.

They recently informed me that they are missing some data, some members that they track are no longer in the members table. Being that they first noticed data missing 2 weeks ago, and they only informed me last Friday, I cannot simply restore to a backup as they will lose all the data they put in in between.

First I need to restore the data, is there a way to merge two tables from different databases keeping only unique rows? There is no key field in this table.

Secondly I need to identify how this occurred. First thing I noticed is that there are several rows that every text cell is entirely pound signs, while date fields are empty and yes/no boxes are set to no. My guess would be data corruption of some sort, but I couldn't find any information on data corruption at the row level Another issue is that the original developer formats his delete queries as such

Delete TableA.CellA, TableA.CellB
    From TableA InnerJoin TableB

Where TableA.SocialSecurity = TableB.SocialSecurity

AFAIK delete does not have a clause before the From line. I tried it with test data and I can't tell if this behaves differently then normal delete queries or even why it runs at all.
    Last edited by Djacsnp; 04-19-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: NoScript broke formatting

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Restore a copy of your backup with a different name and copy that table into the current version.

Then use the Query Wizard to "Find Unmatched" on the two tables. That should give you all the missing records.

Djacsnp is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Never saw the find unmatched before, thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.