phil161 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Question on how to download info (from a barcode reader) into specific fields of an Access database

I have spent a couple of hours searching, but could not find a tip that would be applicable to my situation. If anybody can help with ideas or advice, I’d really appreciate it.

I am volunteering at a senior center, and am trying to make some of the processes there more efficient. The one I am focusing on right now is how to log the activities of the participants. As an older adult comes to the senior center, we record his time of arrival. Throughout the day, he may participate in several activities (exercises, games, etc) and each of those is logged. We also keep track of his meals (did he eat 50% of it, all of it, etc), and the time he leaves the center. All of this information is used to fine-tune the activities we offer, and can also be useful for early detection of some medical conditions. For ex., if an individual gradually stops participating in activities at the same time he is eating less and less, that could raise a red flag and we could advise him to see his physician.

All of this info is currently logged on paper forms throughout the day, then manually and tediously entered into an Access database at the end of the day.

My idea is to streamline the process with a barcode scanner. As each person comes into the Center, we’ll scan a barcode; all the seniors in our Center have a badge, and it’ll be easy enough to generate an individual barcode to add to the badge. And as each senior starts an activity (e.g., exercise, taichi, etc), his barcode will be scanned again. On average, there will be 6-7 pieces of info collected for each individual, throughout the day.

My question is: once I have collected the info into the barcode reader (the barcode reader I plan to use has adequate on-board storage), what/how should I proceed to download it the specific fields of the existing Access database?

Thank you for any tips or advice you can offer.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Different barcode readers behave differently. Typically, you use the barcode scanner real-time. When you scan something, the barcode reader communicates with the computer the same way a keyboard does. The information scanned is entered the same as if you typed it on the keyboard. When I have a new barcode scanner, I usually test it using an excel spreadsheet. It is a good idea to test the scanner because different scanners have different capabilities of reading the many types of barcodes.

If you choose to store the information on your barcode scanner to download the information at a later date, you will need to follow the instructions for your specific device. It may be as simple as installing a driver on your computer and plugging the scanner into your USB port or it may be as complicated as adding your scanner's docking station to the network via an Ethernet connection.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The stored data would have to be in a file format that Access can recognize, most likely a CSV. Then the Import wizard might be adequate. Can use code for more automation of process.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.