newbieX is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

How to always maximize form when visible?

On Main Form (frmMain)

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Activate()
        DoCmd.Maximize
    End Sub

Private Sub btn1_Click()
        DoCmd.OpenForm "PW_Entry", acNormal, , , , , "Password"
        Forms!frmMain.Visible = False
    End Sub
    On PW_Entry Form

Code:
    Private Sub cmdClose_Click()
        Forms!frmMain.Visible = True
        DoCmd.Close acForm, "PW_Entry"
    End Sub
    There are only two buttons on the PW_Entry form: Close and Continue. Continue closes PW_Entry form and opens a different form. Close makes the frmMain visible and closes the PW_Entry form. My expectation is that when I make the frmMain visible and close the DataEntry form when clicking the Close button that the frmMain form will automatically maximize but this is not happening. No other forms are open.

How do I keep the frmMain always maximized when visible if not via the Activate event?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Theres no need to make the main form invisible. The new form will lay over top of it.
    Then when you close it, main form is visible and maximized.

Fair point certainly worth further consideration but assuming I want to make it not visible when opening another form for whatever reason, how do I programmatically make the form always maximized when visible. What in the above code am I missing? One more thing. PW_Entry form is basically there to capture parameter. It's Popup property = Yes and Modal = No.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe something like

Forms!frmMain.setfocus
    docmd.maximize

The reason I would try it in this order is because Docmd will only work on the object it has focus on and I can't recall the code needed to close a form without it.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Maybe something like

Forms!frmMain.setfocus
    docmd.maximize

The reason I would try it in this order is because Docmd will only work on the object it has focus on and I can't recall the code needed to close a form without it.
    That did it.

Question. I have always assumed that once you close a form, all the code below the DoCmd.Close command ceases to execute since the form closes and thus cannot reference its code; hence I never put any commands after the DoCmd.Close statement. I take it this is not true since your code worked. Big eureka moment if so, although it totally throws my understanding of how code moves through a script into a tizzy. Any good link to send me to to help me understand this new kink in my understanding of coding? Thanks.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by newbieX View Post
    ... I have always assumed that once you close a form, all the code below the DoCmd.Close command ceases to execute since the form closes and thus cannot reference its code...
    I used to think that way too. I don't recall who pointed it out to me. But, someone on this forum explained that the code will continue to execute until the end of the code block. It was either Paul or Linq. So, I do not have any footnotes. However, if you think about it, it's not difficult to put it into perspective. You used the form's fully qualified name to access the method. Once you got the ball rolling, it will finish until it reaches the End Sub or End Function line (as long as there is not an exception/error).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.