TruBeast is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Quoting System development project PLEASE HELP

Hi guys,

Sorry, this is my first post here.

I am trying to create a new quoting system and transport calculator for work to simplify the way we currently do these things. Originally I was trying to do this in excel, but after discussing it with people in the excel forum they told me the project would be more suited for Access... Which I have NEVER used...

I guess there really is 4 different elements which I will need assistance with on this project:

1. Creating the macros to make it all work
    2. Creating the forms to make it all work (I have no idea where to even start with these)
    2. Linking the information from the separate workbooks (this is something that I have not done before)
    3. Formatting the whole thing to make it look and feel less "spreadsheetish"

The main workbook for this project is "V1" which has all the necessary notes of what I am trying to do on it, with the other 3 books being the data and quote template to make it all work. I hope I have provided enough info.

I really need the "price book" and "house list" workbooks to be separate from the main workbook so that this data can be edited by selected staff members, but I am happy to incorporate the "quote template" into the main book if it makes things simpler.

I'm really sorry guys, I know what it is I would like for this workbook to be able to do, but I seriously suck at the macro/form/access side of things.

I have had a hell of a lot of help for the excel community in the past, so I am really hoping I can find the same sort of expertise and assistance here.

Thank you all in advance.

If there are any questions please let me know.

Quote Project.zip

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It is not an easy thing to do, coming from Excel and working with Access. I would study up on what a Relational Database is. Access is an RDBMS as well as an Application Development Tool. You need to approach your project as two things, a database and an application. Otherwise, you will grow old too quickly.

TruBeast is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    hmmm... ok thanks ItsMe...

I will do some research on the subjects you have mentioned...

If I am understanding this correctly, are you saying that Access would not be my best solution at the moment to create my database in? If so, what would you recommend for a task such as this?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    As ItsMe said Access (database) and Excel(spreadsheet) are built on different object models and are quite different. Knowing one does not necessarily help you with the other. In many case you must "unlearn" what you know to become more proficient in the other.

Here is a tutorial that will help with database design and concepts if you work through it (30-60 minutes).

Update (after reading ItsMe's response below)
    I'm NOT suggesting that Access isn't appropriate for the task. What I m saying is that if you don't have a well analyzed problem/opportunity, and you don't have the skills to design, develop, operate and maintain the database, then don't single out the software as not being appropriate.

Access is capable of handling such a system, but database is not spreadsheet, so your skills in Access will have to evolve if you are going to design and build the database in Access.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBeast View Post
    ...If I am understanding this correctly, are you saying that Access would not be my best solution at the moment to create my database in?...
    No, I don't think I am saying that. As Orange mentioned, you can't understand what Access is by studying and becoming proficient with Excel. You need to understand what a Relational Database is and then you need to understand best practices for Application development. Access is both, an RDBMS and a Rapid Application Development Tool.

It sounds as though the company you work for needs an alternative for Excel. I would consider Access first. If your company needs remote access to the data, there may be better solutions available or Access may still be suitable. It would take me quite a while to build a quoting program. It could take an entire week just to gather the information needed to create an Entity Relationship Diagram (it could take less time, too). The point being, it is easy to make mistakes and compound problems if you do not understand the proper steps to take.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.