jsimard is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Where Condition length too long

I am trying to create a macro that will allow a user to enter some "search text" into a text field, hit the search button and only get the results they are looking for. I want to search the entire database not just certain fields. The apply filter macro was working perfectly for me until I reached 255 characters. This will not allow me to search all the fields required. Is there a way to search the entire database. I do not want to use the find feature as that still displays all the other records.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    By 'database' you mean a table?

You want to search for the same parameter in all fields? Why? What is the table structure?

Show example of filter criteria. Exactly how are you constructing this string?

I don't use macros, only VBA.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The database contains all medical products used in the organization. Table fields include contract #, vendor name, brand name, product description etc. I would like the user to be able to search by any of these fields. They may want to search for "syringe", by a certain vendor or vendor code. I want one text box that will search all of my fields and only display results pertaining to their search.

June7 is offline VIP
    Still not sure how you are hitting 255 character limit.

I have one combobox for selecting the field to search. Then another combobox that lists data from selected field. Then a button to initiate search/filter. All is managed with VBA code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I reach the maximum 255 characters in the Macro: Apply Filter:
    Where Condition = [Contract Desc] Like "*" & [Forms]![frmSearch]![Text99] & "*" Or [Vendor Name] Like "*" & [Forms]![frmSearch]![Text99] & "*" Or [Brand Name] Like "*" & [Forms]![frmSearch]![Text99] & "*"

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    you could change your where conditions to limit the amount of data your are checking for. like

WhereCondition$ = [Contract Desc] Like "*" & mid([Forms]![frmSearch]![Text99],1,100) & "*" Or [Vendor Name] Like "*" & mid([Forms]![frmSearch]![Text99],1,50) & "*" Or [Brand Name] Like "*" & mid([Forms]![frmSearch]![Text99],1,100) & "*"

Even this would hit the 255 character issue. as Len(WhereCondition$) is likely > 255 after evaluating.

June7 is offline VIP
    As noted, I would not use that methodology.

So no need to search by date or some numeric data?

If you don't want VBA, the only alternative I see is a dynamic parameterized query. Review http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.