CodLiverOil is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

OLE Chart very slow to load

Hello

I have a form with some unbound controls on it that allow a user to select various options that a used in a query, a subform with a report in it shows the results of the users options. That bit all works fine and is very snappy and quick.

Under the subform is a OLE MS Chart control that uses another query to summarise the data and display it appropriately.

The problem is, the chart takes an age to load in the first instance. i.e. when the form is opened it renders to screen and then the hour glass comes up, the form (and access) freeze and it's like that for a good minute. Once the chart is loaded, it redraws as quickly as the report subform, and everything else about it is fine. just the initial load is unacceptably long.

For the meantime, I have set the chart to not visible, and the user clicks a toggle button to make it appear (The form loads fine with the OLE Chart not visible, when the toggle is clicked, the same 1 minute-ish hang happens)

I presume the hang is while access loads the OLD MS.CHART object, so my question is... how can I get around the hang? Is there anyway to make the form load in the background (i.e. to not cause access to hang while loading) or to pre-load it when the database is opened?

Help me Accessforums.net, you're my only hope...

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Was this chart created with Access 2010? Did it run fast under 2010?

If it has never been run under 2010, want to provide db for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks.

The database was written in Access 2010 and is being used in same version.

Database attached, the form with the MS.CHART OLE is frmDynamicReport,

Select some suppliers and divisions, set a date range and then tick the box 'show chart'

Much appreciated.

File : CodLiverOil.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    I don't get any graph to show no matter how long I wait.
    I changed the form Popup property to No so I could get to the Refresh button on ribbon. Include Me.Refresh in the tick box code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for looking, I though refresh was implied during the resize procedure, but I'll add it.

Did you try with me.refresh and did you get the chat chart to show?

Would you mind setting the form footer to visible so the chart loads at the same time as the form is drawn and letting me know how that goes?

Again, many thanks for your time

June7 is offline VIP
    The graph displays immediately after selecting Division (might change spelling in listbox label). Haven't even checked the tick box. When I do, I lose the graph.

Ok, I am not sure what is causing the issues then, as on the computers I have tried this out on the behaviour is the same. The OLE connection takes a long time to load the MS.CHART object, causing Access to hang.

Is there any way of making an OLE object load in the background, or at least pass to a sub-thread so it doesn't stop the user from being able to use the parent database while the object loads?

June7 is offline VIP
    None that I know of. Access is single threaded.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.