tylerbns is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Lightbulb Deploying asset database tips

I am going to be in charge of managing our inventory for all current, and future machines. I have created an access database and it will work fine with all new machines that come in. However, I am wondering how I should go about gathering information about deployed machines (about 500). I want to get their Hostnames, MAC, S/N, and model type. Is it even possible to create a query or macro to do this?

Thank you for your time.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    to clarify, you want a routine which you can deploy to each of your machines to interrogate and send back the information you require? I would not think either a query or macro will work, you will need to use VBA

If so, google the environ function which may give you some of what you want. You will probably also need to interrogate the windows registry for things like the MAC code.

Assuming all these machines do not have access to a common location where your routine could update a database, you will need a different methodology - perhaps it can send an email to you with the relevant information which you can then import into your db.

However if you have this many machines I would have thought you would have a helpdesk function somewhere - would they not have this information or a way of getting it?

tylerbns is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    If it could email me with the information I require that would be great. I just want to get the information from the deployed devices into my table. The machines are in different states and even countries.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    OK - so you need to google the environ function and will probably also need to interrogate the windows registry for things like the MAC code

for environ have a look here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib.../gg264486.aspx

and for the registry try this link http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Office2003-NL)

for emailing, there are plenty of threads about how to do this

still think you should talk to your helpdesk

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.