Wabamdo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Table structure of a high school fees management database

Hi guys,i have started developing a school fees database but i seem stuck on how to create the relationship between fees and fees details table because in this particular school fees is paid 2 per year,it has boarders and day scholars who pay different fees amount.and it has classes from F1-F4.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample database structure.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	20585
    Your suggestion will be highly appreciated

Torinjr is offline Advanced Beginner
    I'm new but im guessing that at the moment you have linked FeesID autonumber to the FeesID Field in your table 'tblFeeDetails'. So you would only be able to select autonumbers im guessing in your FeesID Field. I'm guessing this your problem? Im a little confused what you actually want in this table?

Go to your table 'tblFeesDetails' go to Design View. Make sure your Fees ID Data Type is set to number (as your relationship is to the autonumber) At the bottom of the page you will find Field Properties where you can change properties in the Lookup tab to display which Field/column you want to display. Hopefully your Row Source is already set up, if not change it to this:

SELECT [tblFees].FeesID, [tblFees].[The field name you want to display] FROM tblFees;

You can change your column count and widths to choose which fields are displayed. i.e if you wanted the Class name to be displayed you would set your column count = 2 and your column widths = 0cm;3cm (The 0cm column width hides the first field, the autonumber, and only shows the ClassName in the 3cm width).

Hope this helps with your understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Torinjr View Post
    I'm new but im guessing that at the moment you have linked FeesID autonumber to the FeesID Field in your table 'tblFeeDetails'. So you would only be able to select autonumbers im guessing in your FeesID Field. I'm guessing this your problem? Im a little confused what you actually want in this table?

Go to your table 'tblFeesDetails' go to Design View. Make sure your Fees ID Data Type is set to number (as your relationship is to the autonumber) At the bottom of the page you will find Field Properties where you can change properties in the Lookup tab to display which Field/column you want to display. Hopefully your Row Source is already set up, if not change it to this:

SELECT [tblFees].FeesID, [tblFees].[The field name you want to display] FROM tblFees;

You can change your column count and widths to choose which fields are displayed. i.e if you wanted the Class name to be displayed you would set your column count = 2 and your column widths = 0cm;3cm (The 0cm column width hides the first field, the autonumber, and only shows the ClassName in the 3cm width).

Hope this helps with your understanding.

Thanks very much for your reply,but am still a little confused.Please sent me a link to some sample fees module of a school database program.I would like to see its table structure because that is where my confusing comes in

Torinjr is offline Advanced Beginner
    I doubt you would be able to find a specific tutorial for a school fees example. I found this tutorial which takes you through the general process of setting up tables, forms, queries etc (http://www.quackit.com/microsoft_acc...2013/tutorial/). You might need to apply what you learn in this to your own problem. I could create an example database but you would have to tell me exactly what fields and information you need... it's better for you to knuckle down and try figure this out for yourself once you have learnt the basics.

You will get it, just keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Torinjr View Post
    I doubt you would be able to find a specific tutorial for a school fees example. I found this tutorial which takes you through the general process of setting up tables, forms, queries etc (http://www.quackit.com/microsoft_acc...2013/tutorial/). You might need to apply what you learn in this to your own problem. I could create an example database but you would have to tell me exactly what fields and information you need... it's better for you to knuckle down and try figure this out for yourself once you have learnt the basics.

You will get it, just keep trying.
    Thank you very much for your help.Am now following the link that you have given me

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.