jabrjo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Form Buttons not working after ACCDE conversion

I recently split an access database and converted the front end to an ACCDE file. For some reason, a portion of the buttons are not working (the buttons to open sub forms are working...). The file is in a trusted location and I compiled the VBA code before splitting and converting. I have read a number of similar threads on here, but I do not see a solution. Any suggestions on what I am missing?

Thank you!

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,
    you could check for any blank modules, code without proper error handling, broken references, ...

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If a button is not working, maybe there is code or a macro running that requires access to design changes. What is happening that makes you think it is not working?

You can only run code that is supported in Runtime. Can you post the code here or a screenshot of the Macro?

The code for this button is not working

Private Sub AddNewEvent_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_AddNewEvent_Click

DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

Exit_AddNewEvent_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_AddNewEvent_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_AddNewEvent_Click

In the end, I am just trying to send the front end of the database to multiple users. Is there any risk with sending the front end as a .accdb? I have hidden the tables, queries and forms and do not expect them to make any changes to the database. So far, all the edits made on their end (as an accdb file) have worked well. Thoughts?

I do not see anything in your code that will not work in a Runtime environment. I still do not know why you think it is not working, what is actually happening, the error description, etc.

If you are not interested in troubleshooting further, you can use an accdb file as a front end. The major difference between accdb and accde is that there are not any VBA modules in an accde. If a user with a full version of Access installed experiences an exception, they will be prompted to debug. This could bring the user into the module and possibly cause issues if they were to save design changes. There is an option to password lock the VBA modules in an accdb file.

The button is supposed to add a new record the form. however, the button appears to be deactivated - it does nothing when it is clicked...

The control may be corrupt. Try deleting the entire VBA procedure and, then, create a new procedure using the ellipses from the Properties Sheet or the pulldown from the VBA editor. Place your code in the new procedure and try again. It may be necessary to delete the control itself and replace. Also, check that the properties for the control show as Enabled = Yes. It should be obvious if the control is enabled while in Form View but, this is not always the case.

Thanks for your help. Ill give it a shot and if i cant get it to work, i'll just keep it as a accdb file

OK, I forgot to mention that it is not a bad idea to Compile and then Compact Repair after deleting code and or controls and before creating new code/controls.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.