BudMan is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Question Upsizing Wizard in MS Access 2013

In older versions of MS Access, there was an "Upsizing Wizard" that could be used to convert an MS Access database to an SQL database. I cannot find that tool in MS Access 2013. Has it been removed or has a new tool replaced it. I want to convert an MS Access 2013 database to an SQL one.

Thanks!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have played around with this a little bit. But, only to test things and it was a long time ago. IIRC, there is an option within Access 2013 to generate Script. I can't remember if there is a button exclusive for SQL Server or it is what happens when you publish to a Web Application or SharePoint.

The other approach would be to do it from SQL Server Management Studio. This way should do the entire process, generate script and import to SQL Server. I also believe there is an option from within the newest version(s) of Visual Studio. So you do not have to actually start up Management Studio (proper). I could be mistaken though.

BudMan is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Cool

I have done some checking and apparently there are some commercial applications available to do this. I should have been more specific in my original post. I want to move the MS Access databases to a MySQL one that is running on a FreeBSD system. I could then still access the databases via MS Access or other applications if I so wanted to.

Thanks for you advice.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Oh, yah, MySQL is not MS SQL Server. Aside from looking at data types and maybe one or two constraint options, I do not have experience with scripting for MySQL. Not sure how to go about automating the export to MySQL. I will imagine that newer versions of Visual Studio will do it. Using Visual Studio, you may have to script as MS SQL and then to MySQL.

As you mentioned, third party software to go straight from Access to MySQL may be the path of least resistance.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.