Michael.Reynolds1775 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Starting new inventory database

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a new database up and running and really require quite a bit of help. Is there anyone that wouldn't mind helping get this thing built?

Background: In my company, we have several (135) keys and locks that are all controlled. Each key/lock is serialized (uniquely and this should serve as the primary key). There are 4 different types of key/locks (Vehicle, ILD, HSL and PadLock), various locations the locks can be located at (door 1, door 2, etc, or storage), and two stages of serviceability (Serviceable or Unserviceable) and comments associated with why the lock would be unserviceable (missing keys, requires lubrication, inoperable, etc). Locks cannot remain on one door or gate for longer than 12 months. Obviously (or maybe not so obviously) keys cannot occupy the same Vehicle, door or gate at the same time.

I have created a table of the entire inventory using the serial number as the primary key. The table consists of Serial, Type, Location, Serviceability, Comments and Date Placed.

I was able to create a report based on that information and sorted it by serviceability, which works, but isn't the total functionality I'm looking for.

I'd like to make a form, so that I can select the key from a combobox, and the information associated with that key is displayed. If the circumstance arises that a locks serviceability changes, I can change the location to "storage", and alter the serviceability and add comments as required, and update the "date placed" column based upon the date of that input.

similarly, I'd like to be able to rotate locks in and out of locations freely.

I'm running into issues with creating the form that will control what I've addressed above. Again, if anyone would be willing to assist, I'd greatly appreciate it.

many advanced thanks,
    MikeKeyControl.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds like what you need is a procedure for selecting an existing record. Access has intrinsic tools to search and find records. But if you want to customize, review:
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...tomfilter.html
    http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.