juriemagic is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

What is Access?

Hi good people!,

My very first post here... A strange question I realize, but I am TOTALLY not familiar with Access. I just want to know if Access can be used for the same purposes as one would use Excel?. The reason for this question is: I have created a very neat Maintenance schedule which runs on some macros, and a few advanced formulae in Excel. The thing is that Excel has some hiccups, for example, screen goes blank when macros are executed, the overall look of the reports are just a "flat" screen (If you know what I mean), uhm, generally things don't look very professional, although the purpose of the schedule is top notch. So, the manager for whom I designed this schedule, asked me if I could do this in Access, because Access has a very professional look to it, and so on. I completed a small on-line Access course in the meantime, and as far as I understand, Access is more of a reporting portal, drawing info from a database via a query and displaying it. (maybe there is much more to Access than just this, I don't know yet).

So, I created my first database, but I'm already stuck in managing this database already. Depending on what info I will get on this question, (The above), will I decide if or not I will post my problem on the managing of my database.

Please excuse my total lack of understanding Access, hopefully I will become a wiz with Access soon enough as I am with Excel!. Thanx for your time spent on this..

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Access your answer. You basically throw all your data into a box. (Table)
    then ask questions of the box to get your answer, (query), like 'how many males from NY were born in 2014"

The forms are a filter for the user to enter data into the table. This shows only the boxes the user needs to use and no others.
    a combo box helps by providing a list to pick from.

Reports allow the data to be printed in a collated view.
    Macros allow the developer to build functionality without knowing VB. just by selecting actions out of the combo boxes in the macro, a beginner can program actions.

I process an entire company's sales this way. Users enter data in the form. I have a macro that runs a series of queries....update queries, make table queries. When it's over, reports are made and emailed to users.
    it is a fantastic product.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    maybe there is much more to Access than just this, I don't know yet
    there is - sounds like you have learned bout tables, relationships, normalisation and queries so far. you need to learn about forms (for navigation, data entry if applicable, some reporting etc ), reports and at some point vba or macros. With both forms and reports you have total control over look and feel (the standard MS generated ones have improved over the years but are a bit boring). In Excel macro's are written in VBA and all the same principles apply for VBA in Access. So if you are an Excel wiz, this should not be a problem for you.

juriemagic is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Access your answer. You basically throw all your data into a box. (Table)
    then ask questions of the box to get your answer, (query), like 'how many males from NY were born in 2014"

The forms are a filter for the user to enter data into the table. This shows only the boxes the user needs to use and no others.
    a combo box helps by providing a list to pick from.

Reports allow the data to be printed in a collated view.
    Macros allow the developer to build functionality without knowing VB. just by selecting actions out of the combo boxes in the macro, a beginner can program actions.

I process an entire company's sales this way. Users enter data in the form. I have a macro that runs a series of queries....update queries, make table queries. When it's over, reports are made and emailed to users.
    it is a fantastic product.
    Thanx Ranman, I will pursue on my path then to learn Access. Thanx again..

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.