Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mduplantis is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

progress

Yes, just describing my progress. Thanks

Windows 8 Access 2013
    When you are checking to see if the IsNull(lstIncident) What property is it testing for? It looks like it is checking for a record because you either call an Insert INTO or an Update for the SQL statement.

Thank you.

Code:
    If IsNull(lstIncident) Then    MsgBox "ERROR:  An incident must be chosen before adding or updating exposures present", vbOKOnly, "ERROR Adding/Updating Exposure"
    Else
        RequiredCheck = SubRequired(Me.Name, Screen.ActiveControl.Tag, Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab")).Pages(Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab"))).Name)
        If Len(RequiredCheck) > 0 Then
            MsgBox "The following fields are required to add an exposure" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & RequiredCheck, vbOKOnly, "ERROR ADDING/UPDATING EXPOSURE"
        Else
            If IsNull(lstIncidentExposure) Then
                If DCount("*", "tblIncidentExposure", "[IncidentID] = " & lstIncident & " AND [Exp_ID] = " & Exp_ID) > 0 Then
                    MsgBox "That exposure already exists on this incident", vbOKOnly, "ERROR ADDING EXPOSURE"
                Else
                    Call SubAdd(Me.Name, Screen.ActiveControl.Tag, Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab")).Pages(Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab"))).Name)
                    Call SubClear(Me.Name, Screen.ActiveControl.Tag, Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab")).Pages(Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab"))).Name)
                End If
            Else
                If DCount("*", "tblIncidentExposure", "[IncidentID] = " & lstIncident & " AND [Exp_ID] = " & Exp_ID & " AND [IncExp_ID] <> " & lstIncidentExposure) > 0 Then
                    MsgBox "That exposure already exists on this incident", vbOKOnly, "ERROR UPDATING EXPOSURE"
                Else
                    Call SubUpdate(Me.Name, Screen.ActiveControl.Tag, Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab")).Pages(Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab"))).Name)
                    Call SubClear(Me.Name, Screen.ActiveControl.Tag, Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab")).Pages(Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab"))).Name)
                End If
            End If
        End If
    End If
    End Sub
    I understand what the below sub procedure is doing, but I don't quite understand how it knows to insert into a different table. It looks like you are passing the values to:

Code:
    Private Sub cmdSub1Add_Click()..........

Call SubAdd(Me.Name, Screen.ActiveControl.Tag, Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab")).Pages(Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab"))).Name)
    Function SubAdd(sFormname, sSub, sTab)

then checking the tags...

If InStr(ctl.Tag, sSub) Then

But, then I get a little lost.

Thanks!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    me.name supplies the name of the form
    screen.activecontrol.tag supplies the TAG of the button clicked (Sub1 or Sub2 in my example)
    Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab")).Pages(Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.N ame, "frm", "tab"))).Name This monster supplies the name of the TAB you are currently on. I use this specifically to cycle through smaller sets of controls rather than cycling through *all* controls on the form.

So, for example, if you look at what happens if you click a button in the EXPOSURE area when you look at the values that are being passed you would have

sFormName = me.name = frmIncident
    screen.activecontrol.tag = Sub1
    all the buttons in each 'sub' area have a tag of Subx where x is a number
    Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.Name, "frm", "tab")).Pages(Forms(Me.Name).Controls(Replace(Me.N ame, "frm", "tab"))).Name = Main
    I think that's what I named the first tab on that form, I pass this value strictly so that I can cycle through a smaller set of controls rather than every control on the form, let's say you had 10 tabs with 100 controls each, you wouldn't want to cycle through 1000 controls every time you were processing data, you'd want to just process the controls on the tab you're on.

In the SubAdd function itself the code is cycling through all the controls and part of that is to look for a control with the TAG sSub & "_List" or "Sub1_List". When it finds that control it extracts the control NAME, in this case it would be lstIncidentExposure, which when you replace lst with tbl you get the TABLE name where the data will be appended. That's why this code relies very heavily on 'properly' named controls with the correct TAGs. The code is basically figuring everything out based on the naming conventions.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Perfect. That helps a ton. The monster statement was throwing me off! Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.