sharkey_lsu is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Modern GUI

Hi,

I am developing a dbms and am at the point that I need to start putting significant effort into a streamlined UI. I am not as experienced with this aspect of design so I was wandering if anyone could provide advice. The dbms will be run through access runtimes and needs to appear as a standalone program. I have no problem achieving this (disable design mode bypass, login screen, etc.), however, when I get to the actual UI, the program really seems outdated and redundant. Could anyone recommend a strategy for creating a dbms that is successful as a standalone program. It needs to be very streamlined, intuitive, and quite honestly, sexy. I would love any screenshots of what you think is a solid, beautiful gui and any advice as well.

It might be worth mentioning that the database in question is an inspection management system. The EU will use it to store client information, platform information, inspections, employees, etc. and will become the full workflow of this company. The current UI is a switchboard style interface and I feel like there must be a better way.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The possible variations are endless.

For a start, I never use Tabbed Documents, I always set db for Overlapping Windows.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    The possible variations are endless.

For a start, I never use Tabbed Documents, I always set db for Overlapping Windows.
    I definitely realize that there are endless possibilities but I am more just hoping to get ideas/inspiration. I currently have overlapping windows as well, but I am not happy with my result. Would you consider sharing something that you consider to be a beautiful and intuitive UI? I always seem to come across highly functional db's, but never anything that looks very appealing. I have searched and searched and all examples that I have found appear to be from the 90's.

June7 is offline VIP
    Maybe you should do a mockup of what you consider 'modern, beautiful, intuitive'. All I've ever aimed for is 'practical and intuitive'. I would consider my dbs relatively plain and use only intrinsic features, no 3rd party add-ins, no wild colors and graphics. They are all for in-house use, no commercial distribution.

What specifically are you not happy with?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

My main concern is that the program really should be an attractive design. I am selling the final product to a company and I want them to be proud of it. I have attached what I think would be a nice interface, it is more of a navigation style than switchboard. Do you have any thoughts on the complexities involved in creating something like this?
    GUI.pdf

June7 is offline VIP
    Looks fairly nice. The white on dark grey maybe a little harsh on the eyes. But I am more used to black on light grey.
    No idea how to customize the scroll bar.
    Appear to be some custom images used as button icons.
    Graphing in Access not as easy as Excel.

All doable.

Change appearance of datasheet view subform.

I was able to replicate my concept somehat closely. My biggest issue is changing the appearance of the subforms in datasheet view. I would like to remove the record selector bars at the left, remove all borders, make selected record have red bg with white text, and change the appearance of the headers. Is it possible to change the appearance of a form in datasheet view?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fff.jpg  

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    datasheet is datasheet - very little you can change - certainly can't remove record selectors. You can make a continuous form look like a datasheet and with some vba, the user can resize columns as you can with datasheet. You can also create your own scrollbars. Things like red background etc is achievable with conditional formatting (which does work for datasheet) of controls that have focus or for the full row, use a transparent unbound textbox to cover the detail area (but not for datasheet). You cannot change datasheet headers, but you can with continuous form.

June7 is offline VIP
    Basically what Ajax said. However, can display different headers in datasheet with a form set to Datasheet view and whatever is in label associated with data control will display as header.

Thanks for the advice. I think that is what I need to do in order to get a clean UI. I am currently exploring the continuous form option, but I am unsure of how to get the red background on selected records. I assume this is done through vba? Also, how would I be able to customize the appearance of the scrollbars? I do not see an option anywhere to change the appearance of this. Would you happen to know of an example that I could view? Im not an expert at access by any means and seem to learn best with an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    datasheet is datasheet - very little you can change - certainly can't remove record selectors. You can make a continuous form look like a datasheet and with some vba, the user can resize columns as you can with datasheet. You can also create your own scrollbars. Things like red background etc is achievable with conditional formatting (which does work for datasheet) of controls that have focus or for the full row, use a transparent unbound textbox to cover the detail area (but not for datasheet). You cannot change datasheet headers, but you can with continuous form.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    I assume this is done through vba?
    No, conditional formatting
    Also, how would I be able to customize the appearance of the scrollbars? I do not see an option anywhere to change the appearance of this.
    if you google 'vba slider controls' you should find some examples, the principle is demonstrated here http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=225855. Since it is your design, you can change the style to suit - primary code will be in the mouse down/up/ move events. This is another link which demonstrates a slider moving a continuous form, plus conditional formatting http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...eable+crosstab

Since you are using 2010, you can make use of the special visual effects you can get using the buttons - I've used a rounded rectangle slider button with shape effects for example.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.