Virgule is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Question Fetch data from website

Hello,

New MS Access user though, I've done some VBA in excel. Excuse my general noobishness. I'd like to be pointed in a direction regarding what I'm trying to achieve.

I want to find a way to fetch data from websites. I'm building a database of computer hardware components and want to find a way to auto update component prices on different websites such as newegg, ncix, ...

Currently, my DB is built as follows :
    1- tblComp is a table of components including the following fields : Id (primary key), FKType (Component type, num, FK pointing to Id in tblLabel), Description, Link1, Link2 and Link 3 (3 different websites for that component where price is shown).
    2- tblPrice is a table of component's prices including the following fields : Id (primary key), FKComp (Component, Num, FK pointing to Id in tblComp), Price1, Price 2, Price3 (price of links 1 2 3), Shipping1, Shipping2 and Shipping3 (shipping prices of links 1 2 3).
    3- tblLabel is a table containing fields of component types, currency types, ...

I made frmComp, a form linked to tblComp where I can fill in the component type, description and link 1, 2 and 3. I'd like to find a way (macro or otherwise) for Access to consult those websites and find the price of the component (for a start). I know different sites have different layouts and it's a challenge to find the correct txt string in a big array but the fact is I'm only using certain sites and could write different macros for different sites. Ex : link1 could always be a Newegg link, link2 ...

I've tried the built in button in excel (Data ribbon -> web) and it works to some extent. It imports in a new tab an array of txt strings where I see the price I want to obtain.

Any thoughts ?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Virgule is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks for replying June7.

I see I have a lot to learn before I can make this happen. At least, the links you provided should guide me a bit. I'll try to update the thread if I do any progress.

Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.