tonygg is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

"Me.OrderBy" Not working?

Hi.

I was hoping to get some help with the strange behaviour I am getting. I have created a continuous form based on a view (actually a nested view showing the orders and the products being ordered and the person ordering them - please see bottom of post).

The data set is orders. I pull back the full set of orders and give the user a series of buttons to filter the order by different dates. I then want the filtered form to be ordered by the products rather than the orders. This would show all the orders for each product in a list (filtered by the date the user selects).

I have the filtering working fine. However I just cant get the ordering to change. To be honest when I execute the code it looks like it just comes back with some totally random ordering!

The code I am using on the form is:

FilterText = "[Order Sequence Number] >= " & FirstOrderOnDate

Me.Filter = FilterText
    Me.FilterOn = True

Me.OrderBy = "[sProductDescription]"
    Me.OrderByOn = True

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to get the filtering to work?

Not sure if it is relevant but my queries are:

1. THE FORM IS CREATED FROM:

SELECT Person.Name, Order.Status AS OrderStatus, Order.[Order Number], TONY_ML_OrderedProducts.sProductDescription, Order.[Date Received], Order.nTotalItemsShipped, [Order].[nTotalItemsOrdered]-([Order].[nTotalItemsShipped]+[Order].[nTotalItemsCancelled]+[Order].[nTotalItemsBackOrdered]) AS nItemsOutstanding, Order.bOrderIsDeleted, Order.Status, Order.[Date Ordered], Order.[Date Order Finished], Order.nPaymentStatus, TONY_ML_OrderedProducts.ProductReference, Order.InvoiceContactID, TONY_ML_OrderedProducts.QuantityOrdered, Order.nCustomerID, Order.[Total Cost], [Order].dHandlingCost+[Order].[Shipping Total Cost] AS [Ship Hand], [Order].[Tax Total Cost 1]+[Order].[Tax Total Cost 2] AS Tax, Order.bOngoingOrder, TONY_ML_OrderedProducts.Price, Order.[Order Sequence Number]
    FROM Person INNER JOIN ([Order] INNER JOIN TONY_ML_OrderedProducts ON Order.[Order Sequence Number] = TONY_ML_OrderedProducts.[Order Sequence Number]) ON Person.ContactID = Order.InvoiceContactID
    WHERE (((Order.nPaymentStatus)=10) AND ((Person.ContactID)=[Order].[InvoiceContactID] Or (Person.ContactID)=[Order].[DeliverContactID]))
    ORDER BY TONY_ML_OrderedProducts.sProductDescription;

2. THE QUERY ABOVE USES ANOTHER QUERY called "TONY_ML_OrderedProducts" :

SELECT Order.[Order Number], Order.[Date Received], Order.[Order Sequence Number], OrderDetail.sProductDescription, OrderDetail.ProductReference, OrderDetail.QuantityOrdered, Order.nCustomerID, Order.[Total Cost], [Order].dHandlingCost+[Order].[Shipping Total Cost] AS [Ship Hand], [Order].[Tax Total Cost 1]+[Order].[Tax Total Cost 2] AS Tax, OrderDetail.bIsComponent, OrderDetail.Price
    FROM [Order] INNER JOIN OrderDetail ON Order.[Order Sequence Number] = OrderDetail.OrderSequenceNumber
    WHERE (((OrderDetail.ProductReference) Not Like ':::::') AND ((OrderDetail.QuantityOrdered)>0) AND ((OrderDetail.Price)>0)) OR (((OrderDetail.bComponentsAsSepOrderLines)=True))
    ORDER BY OrderDetail.sProductDescription;

Many thanks

Tony

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Try doing a requery: ( Me.Requery ) after setting the OrderBy and Filter properties.

Hi John

I am doing a Me.Requery (sorry I should have said). Also I tried a separate ordering only button.

I wondered whether it was the nested query so I created a single query between ORDERS and ORDER DETAILS (1 to Many). This seemed to filter and sort fine.

I was wondering if I joined the tables in one single query it might work as well. Trouble is I am not sure how to create the query.

I have 3 tables: Person, Order and OrderDetail.

The join between Order and OrderDetail is: FROM [Order] INNER JOIN OrderDetail ON Order.[Order Sequence Number] = OrderDetail.OrderSequenceNumber

The join between Person and Order is: FROM Person INNER JOIN [Order] ON Person.ContactID = [Order].InvoiceContactID

I was wondering if you knew how to combine these 2 joins into a single SQL statement?

I tried: FROM Person INNER JOIN ([Order] INNER JOIN OrderDetail ON Order.[Order Sequence Number] = OrderDetail.[Order Sequence Number]) ON Person.ContactID = Order.InvoiceContactID but that doesn't work.

Many thanks

Tony

I have realised I made a mistake with the name of Order Sequence Number. It works fine now with the new single query across the three tables.

Thanks

Tony

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.