JR Taylor is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

New to Access - complex form? (golf scores database)

Hi all,

I'm still learning sql statements/queries and Access as a whole. Although I would consider myself an advanced Excel user, I consider myself a Novice when it comes to databases.

Here's the short story. I play golf and log things on my scorecard like, strokes, putts, hit fairway?, hit green? etc. Last year, I built a complex excel workbook for this data, and now I'd like to create a database to replace it. I've researched database design and have the following tables.

Courses
    CourseID,coursename,country,street,city,state,zip,phone,UR L
    Tees
    CourseID,TeeID,teename,rating,slope
    Holes
    TeeID,HoleID,holenumber,par,yardage,handicap
    Scores (main table)
    RoundDate,HoleID,RoundID,Strokes,Fairwayresults,GIROpportunity,Gree nresults,Putts
    Players
    PlayerID,Playername
    So I have this built, and the tables are joined as indicated by color above.

Now I want to create a form for data entry, and I'm stumped. I think because I'm new to databases I just don't know what I don't know.

I have created a form layout in Excel and have attached a screenshot to this post. Hopefully it helps with your answers.

What I'm attempting to do is tell a story. If you look at my layout, it reads: "On X Date, Player JR played Coursename (& course info) from the X Tees, and his results are as follows."

From a user standpoint, I would select the coursename (if already in the DB) and all course info would update; or if it were new, I could input all this information. Then, based on the course selected, I would have a dropdown of Tees where I could select the tees I played or enter tee information if I've never played there before. In the Holes section, if I've played that course and tees before, ALL of the information would be populated (par, yardage, handicap for each hole); and if I've not played there, I would be able to populate this information there.

The Scores section is the main section where I would indicate how I performed in each of the key areas (LOV stands for List of Values).

Is my database layed out correctly for this? Is this type of form (touching multiple tables) even possible?

edit: forgot attachment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    It seems pretty good. It would have to be done with sub forms to do the Scores & Holes entry.

crimedog is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Scores needs player ID - CourseID - and TeeID - I would probably also use Subforms for Course and Tees
    The Drop Downs are Combo Boxes - with Columns Displayed 2 - Column Widths 0",1" and Bound Column 1 etc..
    Probably a second form to create the new courses as they are needed - and anther to create the holes
    I envision a Main form (Dashboard)
    A Course Form - for creating courses
    A Tees form form for creating Tees
    A Players form for creating players
    A Round form - to track rounds - This contains SubFormCoursePlayed & SubformTeesPlayed (separate from first two forms)

JR Taylor is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thank you both for your responses.

Does anyone think I need a 'round' table?

Here's a screenshot of the relationships I have established between the tables...do I need to add more relationships? (for example, TableScores - CourseID tied to TableCourses - CourseID) or is this superfulous due to the series of relationships I have already established?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	40 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	20095

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.