Duncan is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

"Record is Deleted" error message

We developed a simple database that operates across a network at work (max 15 intermittent users). We split it into a front and backend and made it a .accde file format of which through a desktop short cut we all access. We are recently getting the error message “Record is Deleted”. A search of the internet has informed us why this is happening but we need assistance in fixing the problem as it appears to be way to complex.

If anyone can help that would be great. I have attached a cut down version the database in its entirety.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    what did your research say was the problem you say you researched it but don't say what your conclusion was.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I would also like to hear what your research led to as far as solution/attempted solution was/is.

If you missed this during your searching, here is a link to multiuser access.

Good luck.

Windows Vista Access 2007
    Thank you for your interest. Find below suggested solutions from Microsoft support

Proper table structure and recordset creation is all that is usually needed. Where this is not possible, there are a few alternatives:

• Use SQL statements to do the updating and deleting and use read-only snapshot type recordsets to view the data. Refresh the recordset as needed.
    • Refresh the recordset after every edit or addnew or execute operation that affects the data in the recordset. The Jet engine will rebuild the keyset with the updated information.
    • Remove triggers, functions, and so forth from the ODBC table and perform those actions manually.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    ok it sounds like you are using bound forms so the second option in that list is likely what you want to do

In other words, every time you go to a new record you want to force the data to 'save' for lack of a better word which means using the me.refresh command every time you navigate away from a record.

Barring that you would have to move to an unbound form design (option 1 in the list) which basically does not make any changes to your data until you physically force one, and the interaction with your data is so short the chances of conflicting commands is very very minimal.

option 3 doesn't really apply to you since you said all of your tables are access database tables.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yes I am using bound forms that are linked to a query then backend table. Is there a way just to refresh the subform because if I refresh the master form it automatically goes to the first patient in the patient list moving away from the patient the staff member is putting info in. If so, which event should I put "me.refresh" in?

I may need to make unbound forms with a save button as you suggested. I was hoping not to have to as it is such a simple database with intermittent use that I assumed would be okay. But in saying that, there is the real possibility that two staff members will be in the same PT for the same day of the week (say a Monday): thus the same record that I assume is creating the "record is deleted" as only one person can enter data in a record at a time.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Just curious.
    We split it into a front and backend and made it a .accde file format of which through a desktop short cut we all access.
    Does this mean that everyone has a copy of the FE (accde) on their computer OR there is one FE (accde) on the server and everyone has a shortcut to open that one FE?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    excellent point ssnafu, I didn't twig to it. Each person should definitely have their own copy of the front end

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thank you for the reply
    It is one FE (accde) on the server and everyone has a shortcut to open that one FE?

Regards Duncan

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    No, if you have 5 users you should have five copies of the front end, for the sake of argument let's say your database is named database_front_end.mdb

Jim, John, Jane, Jack, Jill are the people who are using the database

you would make five copies

database_front_end_Jim.mdb
    database_front_end_John.mdb

and so on if you are going to store the front ends on the server in the same folder, otherwise you can copy the same front end file to each person's workstation.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thank you for the reply.

So just to be clear, I will need to have say 15 front ends (individually named) as an .accde file on the shared server in the same folder as the back end. Then each individual staff member will have a shortcut on their desk top to their individual front end therfore will not need to have a front end on the individual staff member personal server. With this stop the “Record is Deleted” is deleted issue.

Cheers Duncan

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Does not have to be individually named. That was an example for clarity if you leave the FEs on in a folder on the server.. But each user needs to (MUST) open their own copy of the FE.

Don't know if it will stop the “Record is Deleted” is deleted issue, but it will reduce the chance of corruption. But I think it will help with the deleted issue.

My setups:

Each user has a FE (database_FE.accdb) on their individual computer. I have never seen your deleted issue.

fastvelz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    The setup at my work is that I have one (hidden) master copy of the FE. Users then have a shortcut to a short batch file which does two things:
    1) overwrites the last FE version on the users profile if the hidden server version is newer, using the xcopy /d command
    2) starts access using the local FE in the %userprofile%

You'll have to write a few lines in DOS and save the batch file, but it will make life a lot easier when you want to push out a new version or allow more users on.

Last thought: it is better practise to add an archive = true/false field than deleting records, if this is happening?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.