sbrady19 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

file on network wont open

I am a newbie to ACCESS. I made a database here at work for our video library. I put the file on one of our servers so the girl who will input all the data for each video can get to it, and also so I can get to it to make changes in the design and layout. Well, I can open the file and work on it, but she cannot open the file. She copied the file to her computer and all is well. Is that weird. What would the right way to do what I am trying to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	19979

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    split your database into a front end/back end (you can use the database splitter within access to do it) this will separate you data (tables) from your user inteface (forms/reports etc)

The problem is that you have set the exclusive rights to the database so only one person can have it open at a time. If you create a front end/back end database you can copy the front end to each person's computer (or network location) and all access the same data at the same time (though you do not want to have multiple people entering/updating data at the same time if you're using bound forms).

great thanks. Got my marching orders. Now on to figuring out how to do what you said.

found a tutorial. (http://databases.about.com/od/tutori...m#step-heading). This newbie is still confused. I split the database. I opened the "back end" file which is only the table, but I can still modify the table. I thought that possibility was going to go away once you split the original. I can see how you can make your own forms and reports and query's but how do you lock out the ability to make changes to the ever precious table.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Ok this totally does NOT make sense to me. Now my original database is tell me that IT cannot be changed or modified. What. I thought splitting the database made the new split file NOT changeable, but the original file is now not changeable.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    How about telling readers:

What is the objective of the database?
    What are the things involved?
    What exactly have you done from a database planning and design perspective?
    What development and testing has been done so far?
    What exactly are you having problems with at the moment?

From your post, it appears that you have jumped into Access without familiarity with database concepts. But that is just based on this thread.

Materials/tutorials that may help:

Principles of relational Design http://forums.aspfree.com/attachment...2&d=1201055452
    Entity Relationship Diagramming http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/T...lationship.zip
    Split database http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/databasesplitter/
    Good luck
    Last edited by orange; 03-10-2015 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    WHen you split a database you can not modify the DESIGN of tables only. All other objects can be modified. if you need to modify the design of the TABLES you have to go to the back end, modify the table structure then go back to your front end.

I am a newbie. I knew nothing about databases a month ago. I am an audio engineer mixing audio for television, live TV and post production. My work place so badly needs a database. They have been doing this for 50 years and there is NO database. If they need a video between 2-3 minutes about a healing, there is no easy way to find it. The one and only person who can help does it from memory or some hand written page in a notebook. So I have taken the bull by the horns and am teaching myself ACCESS. See the attachment. I have made a table with all the fields we need for searching purposes. I made a form to input data about new videos. I have made at least 12 queries for searching videos based on length, story type like healing, deliverance from alcohol, new school for orphans, new water wells abroad etc etc etc. Right now there will be 1 person who inputs all the data, then there is me who builds the database. I know by my posts that I show I have no idea what I am doing and am hoping for nice people here to help me out. I so appreciate all your help to me. Of course I have 100 questions even after watching the 5 hour YouTube video along with many many other videos. I eventually figure out how to do something. It easier when someone in a forum like this gives me enlightenment with a great explanation. Sorry if I don't post the way you need me to. Thanks for all the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 5.45.46 PM.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	19998

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Is there a follow up question? Did you solve the problem?

my next question is this: after you split the database, and you add more records to the database on the front end, does the back end get updated even though they are split. thanks.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    when you split a database it functions exactly as if the database was NOT split. The only differences are:

1. You can't modify the design of the tables unless you go to the BACK END file
    2. If you distribute the front end to multiple users (each user getting their own copy of the front end) you can support more concurrent users, particularly if you are using unbound forms.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.