U810190 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Only one Table Updates from New Record in Form

I have 3 tables in one query, and a form built from that query. I only pulled one "company" field into my query from one table. The other two tables also have a "company" field. Why don't all of the tables update with the new company when I add a record in the form??

It will only update to the one you pulled - It doesn't know the others exist. If you have 3 tables with the same name in each you would need to write that in the query so it would know which company in which table to update
    example:1 query with 3 tables requires 3 fields in the query "[table1]![company]" "[table2]![compnay]" "[table3]![company]" now the query has 3 distinct tables to update.

U810190 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    I noticed that and assumed that because the tables were linked with a 1 to 1 relationship with referential integrity that each table would be updated.

I smartened up and combined all of the tables in excel first and then imported just one table.

Works fine now.

I have been having trouble trying to understand when I would and should use 1 to 1 and 1 to many relationships. Most all of my data will pertain to one specific company. I have over 500 companies and over 100 different columns of information. I know that I can ultimately use just one table to query from, etc. My issue is that I want to build several different forms to break out the information for each company, i.e. demographics, credit info, contract info. There is a natural heiarchy as to how the information should be entered. I want company demographics entered before company credit info, and so on. Is there a simple way to create this step by step process?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.