sean88 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Oil well allocation

Dear all,

I am trying to use Access to build a database that handles equipment for several oil wells but I am not sure the best way to designate the equipment.

Essentially I would like to make a table for each piece of equipment with fields as below:

Flowmeter table:

flowmeter type; serial number; date ordered; location;

Pressure Gauge table:

gauge type; serial number; date ordered; location;

etc.

These pieces of equipment then need to be assigned to a well which will have a name eg. Well 1; Well 2; Well 3; etc.
    I was thinking there would be one table which would control the kit assigned via an input form.

The wells will often have several "pressure gauges" or "flowmeters" of different types or serial numbers assigned to the same well.

This information will all need to be queried in order to view all of the equipment assigned to a certain well as well as a query which can search for a serial number and show which well it is assigned to.

I have made a few attempts at this (not particularly Access savvy) and have had problems in how best to lay everything out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sean

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Do yourself a favor. Work through this tutorial to get a better handle on table and database design concepts.
    Then apply what you have experienced and learned to your own situation. It will be the best use of an hour or so
    before you start your project.

Then write a 5-6 line description of "WHAT" this proposed database is about in plain English. Look at the tutorial for an example.
    Then, come back to the forum with any issues.
    Also, do not use names with embedded spaces -- it will led to numerous syntax issues. Use only alphanumeric characters and "_" (underscore).
    Good luck.

sean88 is offline Novice
    Very helpful tutorial!!

Thank you

sean88 is offline Novice
    Hi Orange,

I have found your tutorials online to be of great use and I have been able to build the foundations of my database quite successfully so far.

I do have a bit of a stumbling block - perhaps you may be able to offer some assistance?

The aim of the database is to control the inventory of many bits of equipment and to allow them to be allocated for certain jobs (ie to allocate a job number to each piece of equipment).

Each item has a unique serial number which identifies it; I am trying to figure out how to show in access that one piece of equipment has been attached to another piece of equipment which then may be attached to another bit of equipment.

Hopefully my example illustrates this, please imagine a car where a tyre is attached to a wheel which is then attached to the axle.

Job number to build wheel arrangement: 1234

Item 1. Tyre - Serial Number: 1111
    Item 2. Wheel - Serial Number: 2222
    Item 3. Axle - Serial Number: 3333

Sorry if this analogy doesn't help very much. Any advice is much appreciated!!

Regards,

Sean

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hmmm, sounds like you have it backwards.

You issue in your words is
    many bits of equipment and to allow them to be allocated for certain jobs
    Your approach
    trying to figure out how to show in access that one piece of equipment has been attached to another piece of equipment which then may be attached to another bit of equipment
    I think allocating equip to Job is the approach to take

1 Job may have 0 or many pieces of Equip
    Each piece of Equip has a unique identifier (so same piece of Equip can not be on 2 or more jobs at any time)
    Code:
    Jobs--->Equip

Job 300 --->Equip  12345
    Job 300---->Equip  23123
    Are you concerned about Equip at Jobs, or Equip related to Equip?

sean88 is offline Novice
    This is exactly right:

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    1 Job may have 0 or many pieces of Equip
    Each piece of Equip has a unique identifier (so same piece of Equip can not be on 2 or more jobs at any time)
    Code:
    Jobs--->Equip

Job 300 --->Equip  12345
    Job 300---->Equip  23123
    For one job, there will be several bits of equipment - each identified by their serial number. I think i understand this relationship.

My problem is that I would like to be able to show combinations of certain parts.

i.e.

Code:
    Job 300 ---> Part number 1234: serial 5555 (an item in the database)
    Job 300 ---> Part number 7891: serial 6767 (another item in the database)
    Job 300 ---> Part number 1234: serial 6666 (the same component as serial 5555 but a unique item identified by its serial number)
    I am happy with this stage and can construct a query to search "all parts associated with Job 300" or "search all part numbers 1234"
    However, i would like to find a way of showing that certain parts are combined so:

[Part number 7891: serial 6767] is taken to the workshop and attached to [Part number 1234: serial 6666] - both parts still retain their serial numbers and there is no new serial number created to signify a combination of parts.

If i run a query for "serial 6767" is there a way of showing that this part has now been attached to "serial 6666" and vice versa?

Please let me know if I am not being very clear!

Thank you in advance,

Sean

Windows XP Access 2003
    Not unless you tell or can tell from some info in the database.
    You could have a configurations file that indicates what pieces fit together. Then, based on part numbers and part types, and the configurations file, you could make a strong educated guess of that particular "attached set uo".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.