thompjas is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Exporting data as XML

Hi, I am in the process of re-engineering an outdate Excel spreadsheet booking process into a Access database that will then provide a more structured process for my employer. Part of the database structure is the creation of a XML file that will contain many of the key fields that will then be used in a a PlanetPress workflow.

I seem to be having a few issues with the XML process, the creation process outputs the header file information but no records and info tags are included - the XML file size is 1KB - if I output to CSV, Excel then all data is present.

I thought that I had cracked it by creating a query to record all of teh fields that I want and then use this to create the XML - it worked until I added a lot more fields - now once again I have a 1KB XML file with purely the XML header information contained.

Anyone else experienced this ??, any suggestions ??

regards

Jason

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't have a lot to say on this as I haven't messed around with XML much, however there have been multiple threads about XML formatted files not importing correctly and I assume there is some issue with the exporting as well. Have you tried going from the version of your export that works and adding fields one at a time until you see where it breaks? It may well be there's a 'problem' field and when you find it you might be able to work around it. Just be sure that when it does break you try a field other than the one that broke your process too to make sure it's the field and not an actual size limitation.

The other option is to write some code that will build the XML file for you rather than relying on Access's native export to XML function.

thompjas is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks for your suggestions, I had tried this nut after a while I lost the will to live, today I repeated my tests and it would appear that 1 field was causing the issue - it makes no sense but I have got around it and now have a working XML export routine that contains data !!

Thanks once again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.