gangel is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Allocating criteria to query with VBA

Hi ppl,

So ive been learning HEAPS about all this, and now im stuck on a new problem!
    So my dilemma:

I have query... "alpha"
    and i columns "A", "B" and "C"

I can criteria the fields to C = null and get all the queries where C has no value. (i understand this part)

Now what i want to do in my report is to get 3 text boxes (labled "AValue" "BValue" and "Cvalue" on a form and if i want to see all results i have a command button that opens a rport based on query "alpha" where each value is that of the text boxes.

Once again.. i get this. I can have the critera of each field in the query be the name of the text box.

WHAT IF however i now have another text box on that same form (or a different form) and the number i put in those boxes is a .. "smaller than" value.

So i now have 3 more boxes "SMLRTHANA" "SMLRTHANB" and "SMLRTHANC"
    So if you run THAT report based on the SAME query "alpha" it now uses > in the criteria.
    Should i infact have 2 separate queries and 2 separate boxes

OR can i use the command button and VBA to allocate the criteria instead of the criteria being based inside the query itself??

I hope ive made sense... i re-read it and i hope it sounds right!!!
    Thanks for any inputs ppl!

Gangel

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    in general terms; a query object has criteria in a field or fields. that criteria can be a 'call' from a textbox / control in an open form. As the value in that form's control changes - the query results dynamically change. one can also sometimes have the criteria along with a wild card value but that depends on the data and the type results you seek...

but to change the criteria itself - such as applying to different fields - requires an entirely different approach where one dynamically builds an SQL statement in VB - and then running that sql as the report's record source or making a new temporary query object

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.