Jerry O is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Nagging Multiuser Access Message for a single user

I recently coded a simple field change as evidence of a transfer from Active to History or back to Active from History in a Patient table, where there is only one record for each patient.

Each (Active or History) combo box displays the transferred record properly but, if even a single-user attempts to select the transferred record from the newly-displayed item in the receiving combo box, the following Microsoft Access message appears: "The data has been changed" "Another User edited this record and saved the changes before you attempted to save the changes" "Re-edit the record"

If one closes the combo box, then reopens it, the record can be selected. Although this might be handled with a requery of the form, I would rather not because I would like to keep looking a the transferred patient's data on the form after the transfer.
    A requery of just the receiving combo box right after update of the record does not eliminate the message.

This is not an error message and thus cannot be trapped. It seems like something being temporarily hung on to by editing and updating of the record.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Typically this happens when a form is bound to a table but you use code to change data directly in the table. Is that the case here? Generally speaking, you'd do one or the other, not both. This can get around the requery problem:

http://www.baldyweb.com/Requery.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Jerry O is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    I'm sure you have the correct answer. The code changes two fields in the bound table on the main form and the problem comes if the user immediately selects the updated record from the combo box. Working on another table in the subform. or selecting a different record from the combo box, makes the problem of selecting the (editred by code) record go away. There is only one condition a user would want to select the just-updated record - to send it back to Active from History or vice versa - so I will probably ignore the problem. Thanks for not just shrugging this off by referring me to an Atlas or something.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem (though it took me a minute to put 2 and 2 together there; good one! ). Welcome to the site by the way. My sister-in-law lives "next door" in Oak Park.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.