emaluzer is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Keep getting kicked out of access from 1 pc but works great on another

I am trying to solve a clients issue regarding MS Access 2003(?). The front computer at the shop can access the database and make all the changes, but if the back pc tries to open the file and make changes they get kicked off of the file. They said it use to take about 3 minutes for them to get kicked off and they could make changes in that time but then would get kicked off and the changes wouldnt be saved. Now they say it happens in only a few seconds. I dont really use Access so am not sure if there is a simple solution to this or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if there isnt enough info. Im just going by what they told me and havent seen it in action yet.

Edit: It only happens if the front computer has MS access up and running. If they turn it off then they can run it from the back computer and have no problems

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    define "kicked off" - that implies that you are in it ok - and then get some message or something that you are no longer connected....would like to know more about that...

both PCs should have their own FE linked to the common BE....is this the set up?

Windows XP Access 2003
    I guess kicked off isnt the right term. They explained it better to me and it seems that if the front pc has ms access up and running, then the back pc opens a same database file but it displays # signs and ? symbols. The cannot make any changes to it. From what I read it seems that is because the file is in Read only mode. so not so much as kicked off as they described it, but more like inaccessible to any file and a error message pops up. (they couldnt say what the error message said)

I dont think they both have their own FE. Could you explain this in a step by step fashion so I could try to do this for them? I know the front computer is where the database files are all kept. So would that be the BE? if so then the back computer needs to have its own FE?

Windows XP Access 2003
    This is the error message that comes when they access the file :

Disk or network error. (Error 3043)

An internal disk or drive failure prevents reading from or writing to the disk.
    Possible causes:

• You tried to use a network drive, and the network is temporarily busy, or you are no longer connected to the network. Check the network connection, and then try the operation again.
    • The disk or drive has failed.

Windows XP Access 2003

anybody?

any help at all please

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by emaluzer View Post
    I dont think they both have their own FE. Could you explain this in a step by step fashion so I could try to do this for them? I know the front computer is where the database files are all kept. So would that be the BE? if so then the back computer needs to have its own FE?
    Every computer that accesses the BackEnd need its own copy of the FrontEnd on that machine. Use the Linked Table manager to link to the BackEnd.

Windows XP Access 2003

what does that mean

that I have to install access specifically on the 2nd pc and make a copy of the file then link it using the linked table manager?

Sorry if i dont get it, I dont use access just trying to solve a problem for a client. Laymens terms would be very appreciated.

Thank you very much for the help so far

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Access *always* executes on the local computer unless you are using something like Citrix.

Windows XP Access 2003

front end

what do you mean by front end then? please explain

Windows 7 Access 2007
    The BackEnd has *just* the tables and the FrontEnd has everything else.

Windows XP Access 2003
    so how do i setup a computer so it would work

Windows 7 Access 2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.