LBERG is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Post Using Command Buttons to Navigate and Select Records

Hi all,

I have two forms for two different tables that I want to link through a command button. Pretty simple.

The one form describes the results of an event.

The other form describes the event itself.

I want to set it up so that a user entering data on the form that describes the "results" can press a command button to select the "event". This would open the "event" form where they can scroll through the records, select the one that they want, and then click another button to return to the "results" form which will now have the correct "event" foreign key.

I think this is pretty simple, although it is a little difficult to describe. I tried to google an answer without much luck, so maybe someone can help me here.

Thanks in advance!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It would probably be more common (and simpler) to use a combo box to select the event, but what you describe can be done. One method would be something like this, with the wrapped form modified appropriately:

http://www.baldyweb.com/WrappedForm.htm

There are actually any number of ways to do it, so post back if the combo or above method don't work for you. The combo is really the simplest though.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

LBERG is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi Paul,

Thank you for your help. I do have combo boxes used regularly throughout my forms, but for this particular purpose I think that something like the wrapped form sounds more appropriate.

I looked at the link and it seems to be describing roughly what I want, but I'm afraid that I am not very experienced with Access and am not exactly sure how to impliment it.

In the meantime, I have made a form for the "results" which includes a subform for "event". The user can then scroll through the "events" using the navigation buttons, and when they reach the one that they think is appropriate I have added a command button "view event details" which opens the corresponding event form so they can verify they have chosen the correct one. This is not as direct as I think adding the wrapping buttons would be, but it is serving the same purpose.

But now I am encountering another error when I am trying to input data. I recieve a "Cannot add or change record, a related record is required in tblEvent".....but I don't understand this as they have selected an event right in the same form, and this event has already been created in the "event" form.

Any advice??

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.