EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Storing and Attaching pdf Files

I have Access Front End and SQL Server 2012 Backend.

I have an application where I would like to "attach" pdf documents to Customers. There are two types of documents. One type will be the same document for many customers. For example, all the customers in one state might have a blank State Sales Tax Exempt form attached. The other type will be associated with a particular customer. For example, once they complete and sign the Sales Tax Form, we want to attach the particular pdf form to the customer.

Here are my design questions:

1. Should the pdf images be stored in SQL Server tables as images or should I put the pdf files in a specified folder on the File Server?

2. If on the SQL Server, how should I call the documents up for viewing or printing?

Is there an article someplace that explains the pros and cons of each approach... or even have a better solution?

Thanks, Eddie

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Personally, I never store objects within a table, I always store the path to the item. The shortfall in this, of course, is that if someone removes that file from the location you're hosed, but as long as your target directory is relatively secure from this type of activity you should be fine.

If you store the actual document in a table you will have a huge bloating issue over time.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I don't know of an article, but I also store the path to a file rather than the file itself.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access has a 2GB size limit and embedding a lot of large documents in tables can use this up fast. I don't know about SQL Server (I think it is a BLOG data type).

I certainly wouldn't repeat the same document into multiple records. For printing 'blank' documents, might build a replica with an Access report. In the case of one complex document, I embedded a jpg image of the blank document as a background in report.

As for opening external files, review http://allenbrowne.com/func-GoHyperlink.html
    Last edited by June7; 02-19-2015 at 09:43 AM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Okay, I found it. However, you must be using SQL Server 2012 or higher. See...

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlserverti...l-server-2012/

Hope this helps someone else. Thanks, Eddie

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.