johnson8809 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Mail Merge issue

Created a mail merge that writes to a word document. Intermittently, the program won't run because agetr the word document gets updated, the document isn't closing properly because the word.exe process continues to run and the program won't execute again. It's an intermittent problem, but is extremely untimely on some important reports. Can anyone clue me in?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    well...... off hand I don't know the code to close the word.exe process which probably needs to get fired each time before the word doc open code;.... another approach is to not open the Word doc from Access; instead pop up a message saying something along the lines of 'the data is ready, please open doc xyz'....while perhaps not elegant from the purist Access user perspective it would be simple and robust...the user opening the mail merge document from within Word, rather than via Access, would resolve the issue you are having I believe.....

johnson8809 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Thank you for responding

Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    well...... off hand I don't know the code to close the word.exe process which probably needs to get fired each time before the word doc open code;.... another approach is to not open the Word doc from Access; instead pop up a message saying something along the lines of 'the data is ready, please open doc xyz'....while perhaps not elegant from the purist Access user perspective it would be simple and robust...the user opening the mail merge document from within Word, rather than via Access, would resolve the issue you are having I believe.....

That's an idea. I'll give that a shot. OI appreciate you takingthe time to answer. I'll at least let you know how I fare. "Hail to the legion of VBA'ers!!"
    Troy.

darshit_goswami is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    I guess the process to open word is not word.exe but should be winword.exe.. It should be easy to fire up winword.exe from vba.

darshit_goswami is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.