Gary Childress is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Need Help With Relationships

Sorry. I know it sounds sort of funny, like I'm posting on a dating forum or something but I couldn't help the thread title. Needed some humor after a lot of frustration with Access today.

I'm maybe just barely an intermediate Access user and I have a situation where I am designing a form and need virtually every record to have a table nested within the record. the form is titled "Health Fairs" and for each and every health fair (record) I need to be able to enter all the volunteers who work the booths for that particular health fair. Each health fair could have any number of volunteers so it doesn't make sense to create a predetermined number of separate fields to enter a predetermined number of volunteers. It also doesn't make sense to create a predetermined list of volunteers to pick in a combo box (at least I don't think) because the volunteers may be one time volunteers dropping in "out of the blue".

The work flow would be like this. We discover that there is a health fair coming up at a later date in the year. So I enter the name of the fair, the sponsor, the date it starts and all the days it will run (which could also vary). Next I call around to find volunteers to work the fair booth. When someone I call says, "Yes" I need to enter that person's name, contact info, and times of availability within the record for that particular health fair. Then I call someone else and if they say "yes" then I need to add that person's pertinent information to the record also. My guess is the way to solve the problem is to create some sort of relationship between a couple tables or something but I'm not very savvy on how to implement relationships in a form.

I'm embarrassed to be asking for help. I'm usually OK at figuring out solutions or finding tutorials to help me with what I need in MS Access but this one has me stumped.

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,

Gary

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Need related tables then use form/subform arrangement for data entry.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You need to start with business rules. Then identify the "things" involved and how "thingA relates to ThingB" in business terms.

1 to Many relationship is supported in Access by Form/subform as June has mentioned.
    need virtually every record to have a table nested within the record.
    You do not need a table stored in a record.

You need to work through this tutorial from Rogers Access Library to familiarize yourself with some fundamental concepts.
    Then apply what you learned to your own specific issue.

Based of your post, I have attached a draft model for consideration.

Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HealthFairs.jpg  

Gary Childress is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Many thanks for the help. Still working on the database but made some progress today. Thank you for the replies.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.